ok so the 1st e string buzzes on the first couple frets of the neck im not quite sure i dont have the guitar with me but i raised the floyd rose it still does it then i tried adjusting the truss rod little by little still cant fix it guitar is Schecter Hellraiser FR
and its really pissing me off the string sounds like real twangy open and im pretty sure its hitting the frets could someone help me
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
bump

kinda need to get this done

btw its only the 1st e string that will buzz
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
does it happen with it fretted or just on open notes?

if its just on open notes you need to shim that side of the nut.

if its just on the fretted notes then make sure the fretts are seated properly.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
just the open string what should i use to shim it
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
action is not the problem
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Quote by ikey_
How worn are your frets? Maybe you need to take it to a luthier to get them levelled and re-crowned. Although don't take too much notice of me as I'm pretty new to this.
Ibanez SZ320MH WBR (2004)
Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
JHS Vintage: V6SB (2000)
Tanglewood AJ870 AVS (1998)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
Also, sure you've not tuned it an octave too low. Of course, I've never made that mistake, *cough*

EDIT: nice guitar BTW.
Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
Quote by daveyb123
Also, sure you've not tuned it an octave too low. Of course, I've never made that mistake, *cough*

EDIT: nice guitar BTW.

Your low E must have been like a piece of wet string an octave down, did you get any sound out of it?
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Ac-t-i-o-n
Ivan!

Proghead+Metalhead= ME

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

URL=http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ar gentina
Your low E must have been like a piece of wet string an octave down, did you get any sound out of it?

I can't remember, it was on my acoustic when I first got it. It has quite a lot of tension on the strings anyway. I may have just tuned it to the wrong note as I was using a chromatic tuner.
Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
BACK ON TOPIC!
TS, use a small of brass or copper or something of the sort to shim you nut.

Quote by IbanezRules.com
buzzing everywhere, and now ready to build up to the correct height. This would be a good time to talk about nut shims. The shims come in 3 thicknesses, .1mm, .25mm, and .5mm. .5's are monsters and will only have a place if the original nut rout was extremely deep. .1's and .25's are your shims of choice for fine tuning the height, and most specifically, .1mm will be your best friend and offer the most precise fine tuning of the height. Sort through the shims that you've removed, a .1mm will bend if you blow on it hard enough, a .25 is fairly pliable with your fingers and you can bend it, just not like paper, a .5 is one thick tough suckah, you'll know it when you see it.

To build the nut back up is a matter of determining what it needs, and some of this will be trial and error. Is it choking on the treble side and not the bass? Shim the treble. Choking on the bass but not the treble, shim the bass. If all strings are choking start with putting the same size shim under both sides and test again. If you have a quick method for blocking the bridge [and I always use my spreader clamp to just clamp my bar to the body [my bar has an Ibanez Sure Grip foam wrap on it so it's essentially a padded bar. I started using it for this reason and fell in love with it, to the point I hate the feel of a normal bar any more]] you will find this very fast to shim, check, adjust, check, until it's right. Using the technique of a wrench as a lever in a pad bolt. I'll always start with a .25 shim and stick one under the low side and under the high side. These don't have to be fully inserted, just stuck under the side to give an idea of where it's at and what it needs. Once it stops choking/buzzing on one side, raise the other until it's clean. You can further tweak by then removing any thicker shims such as a .25 and replacing it with a .1 or two .1's until the nut is as low as it will go without choking or buzzing on the first fret. Remember the note earlier about the nut radius not matching the fret radius exactly. If the center is too low to clean up the center strings split the amount of additional height needed between the bass and treble sides. If the center is too high then you'll just have to shim the low and high side as low as possible and live with it [or have the fretboard/frets re-radiused]

When you are satisfied with the results take out the shims on both sides and analyze them. If you have a .25mm shim on each side use a whole shim instead of a half, the same with any additional shims until the only half shims I'm using are the ones that give the final tweak where using a full shim would raise the opposite side too high. If you don't have the full shims and are using halves [and there is nothing wrong with just using halves, you'll never hear a difference between using a half shim on each side as opposed to a full shim] get the halves together so they are like inserting a single shim, and fully install it under the nut until you can't feel the edge protruding past the nut, making sure they are seated flush against the L where the nut meets the fretboard. Repeat on the other side and tighten the nut snug. Test again to make sure that tightening the nut didn't lower it enough to cause any buzz and re-tweak if necessary. Some will be trial and error, some will be educated thinking, sometimes pure luck will get you there, but taking the time to get the nut height as low as possible will pay big dividends in how the guitar plays and feels.

ps: full article here
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B