alright so ive been tone hunting again, and what im really looking for is a tone that just has a ton of punch to it, while still being fairly articulate, but meaty. ive been messing with my marshall some, but i havent quite hit the mark yet. ive gotten it to be punchy, but it was too bassy and when i got it articulate it was too trebely. i guess the sound im kinda going for is a mix between james hetfield's and kirk hammet's tones. heres what i have so far

CRUNCH:

GAIN: 7.5
TREBLE: 8
MID: 6
BASS: 7

LEAD:

GAIN: 7
TREBLE: 7.5
MID: 6
BASS: 3

BOTH HAVE A PRESENCE OF 7

the crunch channel i have fairly close to where i want it, more of the focus of what this is about is for the lead channel, i want it to be a significant step up from the crunch channel while still staying clear

this is a marshall jcm 2000 tsl 112 2x12 combo amp
NOPE
Just crank it - the rest is inside of you
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
a 'hit me in the chest' tone comes mainly from the drums and the bass, not the guitar.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I got that "hit in your chest" feeling with my Marshall 2203KK. The settings I had were something along the lines of:

Presence: 11:00
Bass: 3:00
Mid: 1:00
Treble: 12:30

and a whole lot of gain. I could feel the bass with the Master Volume at about 8:00. but it largely had to do with my cabinet, which is an Orange PPC212. I didn't really get that much of an "umph" with my Splawn OS 212 cab I had. The speakers have a role with the clarity as well, my Orange with a mix of G12-75s and V30's are more articulate than my Splawn cab with Eminence Legend V12s
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
a compressor and closed back speakers help if i understand what you mean. you kind of want like a thump to it i guess?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
^ yeah that is kinda what im looking for, like when i chug or something like that, i can feel it hit me hard inside, not so much as wash over me. thats kinda how it is in regards to my crunch and lead channel; my crunch hits hard, but it leaves more to be desired as far as just power to it, and my lead channel has that power, but not the oomph that my crunch hits me with. to firebread, i used to have like crazy mids, like up at 7-8 but i started hearing that took some away from the clarity to the oomph i desire.
NOPE
Quote by xifr
a 'hit me in the chest' tone comes mainly from the drums and the bass, not the guitar.

+1

and similarly any 'hit me in the chest' tone you dial in by yourself will sound crap in a band situation
Quote by Diamond Dave

and similarly any 'hit me in the chest' tone you dial in by yourself will sound crap in a band situation

+1 i learned this the hard way
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.