Alright, so from what i've been taught from my guitar teacher if you were to solo over something in lets say E major, to use the minor pentatonic you would use the C# minor pentatonic, E's relative minor, correct?

Now i've been looking around on youtube and trying to play over these backing blues tracks in E. So i start using the C# minor pentatonic. In blues, when they refer to playing in E does that mean E minor or something? because everyone is saying to use the E minor pentatonic/blues scale, and infact when plaing over it, it sounds more correct..

here are a few video examples, please clear this up for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR_O3kB1NQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1CrsC8TLs

another example is in a video i found last night. a guy says he's jamming in A#...they begin to solo over it in the A# minor pentatonic. I'm just 10000% confused now..
Although Emaj and C#min are enharmonic (they contain the same notes), the tonic and the chord progressions are different - if you play a C#min scale over a backing track of an Emaj chord, stopping on C# doesn't resolve. If you play it over a C#min chord, it will.
Last edited by moonlightdrive at Feb 11, 2009,
I think you're doing your pentatonic scale wrong, because E major sounds fine over the first one.

Easy reference point. The top note of your pentatonic scale is the root for Major pentatonic.

I.E.

In A minor, the root is the fifth fret of the highest string. The note above that in the minor pentatonic is C, therefore the A minor pentatonic is also the C major pentatonic.
Im kind of confused too I always thought when they said just E they meant you could use E major and minor scales anything in the key of E
When they say something like "a progression in E blues", that would refer to either E blues, or E minor pentatonic, depending on which one you want to play, but they both should work.

Now if they said "a progression in E major", then you'd have to play in C# blues or C# minor pentatonic.

Regarding the guy who says he's playing A#, he may have forgotten to mention he's playing in A# BLUES, and not A# major (the progression of A# blues and not the progression of A# major)

But if they say blues, then it's minor pentatonic/blues scale of the same root note of the progression. If they say major, then it's the 6th interval of the major (or as you know it, 3 frets behind your root of the major), and you have to play in that relative minor to make it sound good.

A study over modes of the major scale will probably help you understand things better or make this clearer.
Most of the time when you're jaming over BLUES, you want to use the blues/pentatonic scale. If someone were to tell me we're jaming over blues an "A", i would probably use the A pentatonic/blues scale. An "A" dorian sometimes works well too.

At your guitar lessons your teacher is probably using a rock backing track in E major, so he's correct...C# minor pentatonic works well for that
Last edited by Guitar247 at Feb 11, 2009,
YOu can use the relative minor, but it's a bit tricky. You have to find the right licks. If you like guns n' roses check out used to love her. The song is in D major, but Slash uses licks clearly from the Bminor pentatonic. That progression is about as bluesy a progression you're gonna find.

Also check out the last solo in Rocket Queen. That part of the song is in Emajor, but slash solos out of the C# minor pentatonic.

*note that both of those solos are technically in their respective major keys, NOT in the minor keys. I only mention the minor keys for purpose of clarity. He's using those shapes that are probably more familiar to most guitarists as being minor/blues pentatonic licks.

Hope that helped.

EDIT: just checked out the first video. That progression is a bit tricky. It starts off with something that is more of a Major Blues progression in which C# minor blues or E major blues works well. However it makes an awkward switch to a G and then an A. C# doesn't really sound good over that. That could be your source of confusion.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Last edited by psychokiller99 at Feb 11, 2009,
You guys cleared it out perfectly that's what i thought. Emajor going to the relative minor but also depending on the progression etc.

But yeah the blues thing kind of slayed me, thanks for all the helpful replies
Quote by Markese
Alright, so from what i've been taught from my guitar teacher if you were to solo over something in lets say E major, to use the minor pentatonic you would use the C# minor pentatonic, E's relative minor, correct?

Now i've been looking around on youtube and trying to play over these backing blues tracks in E. So i start using the C# minor pentatonic. In blues, when they refer to playing in E does that mean E minor or something? because everyone is saying to use the E minor pentatonic/blues scale, and infact when plaing over it, it sounds more correct..

here are a few video examples, please clear this up for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGR_O3kB1NQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a1CrsC8TLs

another example is in a video i found last night. a guy says he's jamming in A#...they begin to solo over it in the A# minor pentatonic. I'm just 10000% confused now..

Sorry, but your teacher isn't a great teacher - at least as far as his theory knowledge goes.

You almost never "play" the relative minor - relative minor is just a term to describe the relationship between the keys.

If you're in the key of E major, as in you have a chord progression that resolves to E major, you CANNOT "play the relative minor" - you've got the notes E F# G# A B C# D# , it doesn't matter what shape or order you play them in, they're E major.

Now, if your progression resloves to the chord C# minor then yes, those notes are C# minor scale, but then you're in the key of C# minor, not E major.

Now, using the PARALLEL minor is a common melodic device in rock and blues music, so if you're inthe key of E major you CAN use E minor pentatonic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Wow... reading all that is going to be confusing to a lot of ppl.. heck you've got me confused and I understnd it.. I think... or do I?

Anyway... if your just starting scales and soloing, more often than not you want to sound decent as quickly as possible..... this is no excuse not to learn the theory, but heres a quicky.

The simple pentatonic scale... drawn on the link below.... will work about 80% of the time if you simply play the scale starting on the bass note of the first chord in your progression. E blues is usually some combo of E A and B... the pattern doesn't even matter if you feel it... therefore the plane jane pentatonic scale will work starting at the 12th fret on the E string or at the open fret.

http://leagueofguitarists.com/images/pentatonic%20scale%201st%20pos.GIF

I'm sure I'll get flamed for over simplifying, but what I've just put there pretty much covers 3/4's of 70s rock guitar.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES