Hey UG
I just created a new instrumental in my solo project, The Preliminaries.
The song is called "Silence and Beyond" though if you have time please check the others out too
Any crits, comments, and opinions are welcome, and I'll return the favor if you have a piece for me to check out. The style is supposed to be similar to the playing of Satriani and Vai, two big influences. I played over a backing track off a site called freshbt.com
The link is in the sig, take a look!
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by aseme
I'm not completely positive, but I think your guitar is slightly out of tune.

Love the tone though. Did you mic your Traynor?

the g string went strangely and significantly out near the end of the song.. i had to avoid it later on

actually, i don't even own a good mic for guitar, this was recorded using a few pedals into the built in modelling on my boss micro br. i thought the tone was not bad considering this.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Hey man, thanks for criting my song I´ll definately think about what you said.

I´ve listened to your song "Silence and Beyond". My suggestions are: Try not to bend as much as you do, it tends to be kind of awkward to listen to and you didn´t always bend to the right tone, wich sounded a bit bad and false. Also your guitar is a bit out of tune...
And finally I´d like to hear some variations in the rythmguitar, becuse it gets very boring after a while. BUT you definately have som cool ideas, and the acoustic guitar sounds awesome. And the lead tone aswell, just keep improving your technique. I think that is what you need to practice the most. By that I mean keep making your tecnique cleaner and work on those bends!

Cheers/ Rewiredll
You have a pretty nice tone, I just think it's a bit too loud.

You also have some nice melodic ideas throughout the piece, but I'd like to hear a pronounced theme that really gives the song some identity. There may be some recurring phrases, but I didn't notice or remember them.

Also, I must agree that in several spots the guitar is quite noticably out of tune, and several of the bends are pretty sour / off the mark.

Regardless of my nit-picks, it's a good effort. Keep it up.

If you care to check out some of my stuff:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18591579
The lead part is definitely too loud, it really overpowers the backing track. I thought it was pretty good, but parts of it seem kinda awkward with the little pauses between each riff. Most of the playing was pretty good technically, but I didn't really feel like you went anywhere with the lead part. But still not bad man, keep playing.

crit mine?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066624
As far as the out of tune comments go, I completely agree that there were one or two spots where my guitar definitely seemed out. I tuned right before the song and my tremolo was acting up. For those who wanted crit in return I'll take a look at your songs as soon as I can, gotta head to soccer practice soon though.

Edit: By the way, if anyone's curious, this was improvised though one or two of the lyrical ideas were thought out in advance.
Last edited by Robino_Ibanez at Feb 12, 2009,
hey man i digged that a lot ill tell ya! Im listening stil now but i can tell you right now, your tone is BEAUTIFUL! and your playing is the complete opposite of sloppy. Maybe if you increased the vol. of the BT it would flow better but its still great!

if you'd like
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066851
"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
...They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor"

Techno artist and rap producer in training

Not bad. Tone wasnt bad either. I kind of kept hearing something that was getting on my nerves some. You kept killing notes too much instead of sustaining them. You should try holding notes some instead of sliding out of them so much but it was good. You got some c-h-o-p-s chops man. Yeah sometimes it did seem kind of out of "tune" but not enough for me to complain about it! I still screw it up too!