I just saw the Rush in rio DVD and they sound great, but does anyone know how to get the geddy's sound like this concert? after getting a good jazz bass.
^No. He gets his treble by plucking (with his fingers) very hard near the bridge. He uses both p/ups.

Ged uses Avalon U5 preamps and speaker emulators through the PA for Rush in Rio, and he has for quite some time.

In the 70s and 80s, he used Ampegs.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
He also uses distortion, though not to a really "noticible" extent. Just an ever so slight amount to give that bite/clank to his tone. I think he bi-amps too, or at least did at one point.

No amount of gear or advice will get you to sound EXACTLY like Geddy though. That man's hands are more gifted than a saint's.

Also, the washing machines might add something to it...
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
It's got to be nearly impossible to get the Geddy tone. But to give you an idea of how to be close, scoop your mids almost completely, bi-amp, lots of tone knob, lean toward the bridge pup, and pluck as hard as you can. His bi-amping signal is one very dirty and one clean.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Ah yes. The "warm, dry sound" of his Maytags.

Seriously, that distortion CBurtonIsKing is talking about is natural tube overdrive of his pre-amps.
Quote by Primus2112
Ah yes. The "warm, dry sound" of his Maytags.

Seriously, that distortion CBurtonIsKing is talking about is natural tube overdrive of his pre-amps.

Really? I could swear i read in an interview that he adds on a touch of distortion...ah well your probably right.
Quote by thefitz
That's because you're a 13 year old who only focuses on guitars. I bet most people can't tell the difference between your voice and your mother's.
that title is a bit off...

does anyone know rush...heheh
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
He also uses distortion, though not to a really "noticible" extent. Just an ever so slight amount to give that bite/clank to his tone. I think he bi-amps too, or at least did at one point.

No amount of gear or advice will get you to sound EXACTLY like Geddy though. That man's hands are more gifted than a saint's.

Also, the washing machines might add something to it...

The amps are just for show. The washing machines are the true source of his sound and tone.
@ CBurtonIsKing: You might've read the one where he talks about the growling in By-Tor and The Snow Dog. He distorted the crap out of his bass for that.

@ BubbaBassGuitar: Geez, I wish.
Quote by Primus2112

@ BubbaBassGuitar: Geez, I wish.

as do i
GEAR
Fender American Jazz Standard Bass
EHX Russian Big Muff
Boss SYB-5 synth
Peavy Max 700 Bass Amp w/ Peavy Pro 410 Bass Cab
Ampeg BA-115T

Quote by loudog93
divide by zero records

destroys the phonebook
He also uses a SansAmp RBI, that gives him alot of his distortion. If you goto www.bassplayer.tv you can watch an interview with Geddy's sound tech and he shows you his entire rig, tells you what each thing is aswell. Plus you get to see every Jazz bass Geddy has haha.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Including fretted and fretless Jaco Pastorius Tribute models. Saints on a stick.

Geddy uses some funky right hand technique with his nails, where (I think) he plucks normally, and then strums out with his nail. I think.

But don't forget that massive amounts of headroom will aid his tonal cause in a live scenario. Things sound better loud.
He only uses the sansamp now running througha power amp now, doesnt he. Im pretty sure he does.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
People always seem to get this wrong.
You need a jazz (preferably with old style pickup spacing), brand new rotosound strings, and a sansamp (or any distortion pedal with a blend)
You need to play hard in between the two pickups on the jazz, with both pickups set to full (not over the bridge pup and not with just the bridge pickup on).
A very low action if preferred as he has his just on the verge of fretbuzz.
You need to set up you distortion pedal so you have the high frequencies distorted (but not so much it makes it harsh), and blend this with the original signal.

He has also stated himself in interviews that the pickups in his bass has been wired differently. he has never given details though.

Do keep in mind that he uses a LOT of expensive equipment in his signal chain so you are not gonna get it perfect.

Hope this helps.

x

EDIT:
Quote by fatgoogle
He only uses the sansamp now running througha power amp now, doesnt he. Im pretty sure he does.

there is a video on bassplayertv that is of russ ryan (his bass tech) going through his rig. He has some nice stuff in there.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by fatgoogle

Yeah, thats what ive heard, thats why he has washing machines/ovens/fridges behind him
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115