Really, it's not so much your guitar as it is the rest of your rig. What amp/pedals do you play through?
But yes, an LP is a very stereotypical (and usually usefull) choice for those genres.
Make sure you play one before buying it though. My friend has an Epi LP Custom, 2 and 1/2 times the price of my guitar, and I can't stand playing it. Hahaha.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by cgolden
Really, it's not so much your guitar as it is the rest of your rig. What amp/pedals do you play through?

I have a Peavy Vypyr 15W. I've foregone pedals for the moment because the ones I have are very low quality - the distortion on the amp sounds better, despite not being able to really switch between clean and distortion in any reasonable time frame.
Well, at that point, I'd say you should save up some more money, get a lower priced guitar (around $300) and get a good amp. The amp will really make your tone more than the guitar.
Quote by cgolden
Well, at that point, I'd say you should save up some more money, get a lower priced guitar (around $300) and get a good amp. The amp will really make your tone more than the guitar.

The vypyr is a great amp.. i don't see what the problem is.

TS, i think any epiphone under $500 and you're better off with an agile or something
But what I'm sayin' that it's only a 15w. If he has any plans to gig anywhere even with a house PA, he's gonna need a bigger amp.