i have $600 to spend on making my tone better. i use a crate v33 head with a marshall MG 4x12. (and no i dont wanna sell it for something better,i like it alot). i play a epiphone lespaul and a squire telecaster standard.my pedals are a visualsound route 66 overdrive and compressor, ibanez ts9, fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet, a boss dd6, a boss dd7 delay and a line 6 verbzilla.

what will help me warm up the treble or remove the harshness/spikiness on my amp? speakers? tubes? i dont know where to start. what will make the biggest difference in taking away the spiky hurt your ears treble sound.?
Try an EQ. MXR 6 or 10 band.
Fighting the good fight since 'ought-diggity.

My Gear

"When you think of it, a really good effect should not mean that your search is over; it should mean that your journey is just getting started."
..turn down the treble?

if its a really bad problem do what he said and get an eq
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
oh by the way my controlls are set with bass on 5 middle on 6 and treble on 7. this is the best sound i could find after hours of tweaking with it.
You might think you like it but try a different cab, or at least better speakers and it will make a huge difference. Turn down you'r treble, but also turn down your mids a little bit
i don't understand why you say you like your amp and speaker cab, yet in the same thread, you're complaining about having crappy tone... the speakers can be a big part of what your tone sounds like, and if you're still getting bad treble after adjusting your amp EQ, then that might be the problem.

you can add an EQ pedal, and that might help your problem. but you should consider if it's worth putting a bow tie on a pig? or just getting a better amp. with 600 bucks, you could probably find a used tube combo that would rock your world, and make your current pedals and guitars ALL sound better. if you sold your old cab, you might have an extra 100 bucks to work with too.

it's also worth pointing out that the cabinet IS a marshall MG, perhaps the most notoriously tone-sucking line of guitar gear ever produced.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Feb 11, 2009,
i know it sounds like im polishing a turd to you guys but i wanna make my rig sound the best it can. i wanna change the tubes but will changing the speakers make a bigger difference in taking away nasty treble? celestion v30's?

by the way i live in hawaii on maui so i dont come across alot of speaker cabs here and most cabs at the local music store are way to expensive. i got my MG cab from craigs list here for $200 and at the music store it is $700 brand new. just to give you an idea of where im comming from here.
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
i know it sounds like im polishing a turd to you guys but i wanna make my rig sound the best it can. i wanna change the tubes but will changing the speakers make a bigger difference in taking away nasty treble? celestion v30's?

by the way i live in hawaii on maui so i dont come across alot of speaker cabs here and most cabs at the local music store are way to expensive. i got my MG cab from craigs list here for $200 and at the music store it is $700 brand new. just to give you an idea of where im comming from here.

On the contrary, you have a decent amp. It almost definetly is the cab. You could trade it in and get a combo.
i play alot of u2 kinda stuff and pop country stuff. i cant afford the celestion blues so what are some alternatives?
Sell the MG cab on craigslist and buy a used bass cab. GK, Ampeg, etc. Yes I said that and I'm not joking. On a budget, it's a good fix.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
haha, are you serious? bass cabs that will fit 4 12's? yeah right. never seen a 4x12 bass cab only a 4x10.
i prefer the warmer sound of 12's over the 10's. so what speaker comes close to the celestion blue tone without costing $250 a speaker?
Quote by voxAC30TBguy
haha, are you serious? bass cabs that will fit 4 12's? yeah right. never seen a 4x12 bass cab only a 4x10.

Or a 2x10. Yea seriously, while it isn't an ideal solution - it will do what you want and can be found anywhere cheap.
But if you can afford a correct cab as it appears, you're better off.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.