I'm a drummer-turned-guitarist, primarily because my band needed a second guitarist, and I already had some knowledge playing fretted instruments. Now, however, after about 9 months or so of playing, I've aquired a serious taste for guitar, and prefer it over drums or any other instrument in fact (except maybe 4-mallet marimba). I'm debating on selling my drumset (a Tama Rockstar old-school kit w/ roto toms, a ddrum snare, and a plethora of cymbals) in order to finance a new, professional level guitar, seeing as our band if finally getting into the higher circles of Chicago's local music scene (if you can say heavy metal is Chicago's scene... hahaha).
I'm 17, and going to college soon, so having a drumset really isn't ideal at this point.
Any opinions on this?
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by Powerhouse
So you're a recovering drummer?

I hear that they only have a 3 step recovery program over at Drummers Anonymous. You know, you don't want to make things too complex for them, might hurt someones self-esteem.
I have an opinion: if you're in Chicago and 17 hit me up. I'm going to college soon as well. What college you going to?
Quote by Powerhouse
So you're a recovering drummer?

Hahaha, nah. It's more that I enjoy playing an actually melodic instrument (i.e. the marimba thing).
Quote by Kwonnie
I have an opinion: if you're in Chicago and 17 hit me up. I'm going to college soon as well. What college you going to?

Where do you live man? I'm around Plainfield/Joliet.
I'm thinkin' Depaul or UofI, with NIU as a back-up.
Quote by cgolden
Where do you live man? I'm around Plainfield/Joliet.
I'm thinkin' Depaul or UofI, with NIU as a back-up.

Damn. I'm in Evanston and going to Oakton. You're like an hour from me. ._.
Sell your set, then buy a nice guitar and amp, if that's what you think you should do. Eventually you should probably get another drum set though, you never know if you're gonna want to play drums in the future. Never give up an instrument
Where's Oakton? Lol.
And yeah, I don't plan on just quitting set, it's more like it's a change of primary instrumentation, if that makes sense.
Ohhh ok. That's not uber far or anything.
What do you guys play?
Quote by RU Experienced?
I hear that they only have a 3 step recovery program over at Drummers Anonymous. You know, you don't want to make things too complex for them, might hurt someones self-esteem.

The first step is to admit that you are a drummer.
Hahaha, metal. That is quite a broad statement. Hahaha.
Anything more specific? I saw you dig Five Finger Death Punch.
Is that the kinda stuff you play?
Quote by cgolden
Hahaha, metal. That is quite a broad statement. Hahaha.
Anything more specific? I saw you dig Five Finger Death Punch.
Is that the kinda stuff you play?

Generally. Though I'm trying to write more progressive stuff nowadays. And ya, I know. I tabbed out almost the whole TWotF album for UG. ._.
Quote by Powerhouse
The first step is to admit that you are a drummer.

The second step is to apologize to everyone you've harmed through this self-destructive activity.
Nice. So... BTBAM? Lol.
As if I could actually play any of their real ****.
Like Selkies... Hahaha.
Quote by cgolden
Nice. So... BTBAM? Lol.
As if I could actually play any of their real ****.
Like Selkies... Hahaha.

I have BTBAM's full discography and haven't even listened to them yet. x.x
I like Born of Osiris (another Chicago band) and Protest the Hero a lot though. Both are progressive metal. I get the impression BoO and BTBAM are similar though. I can barely play their stuff. So technical and difficult...
Yeah dude, listen to BTBAM. They're (next to Trivium) my fav. band.
Amazing technical guitar, and very melodic and even catchy a lot of the time.
Quote by Kwonnie
Oakton = Des Plaines/Skokie.
We need a drummer/guitarist mad.

Hey man, I'm a guitarist in the North Shore if you ever need somebody. Depends on your skill level though, I'm more toward the beginner but starting to get to be intermediate. Send me a PM if interested.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by ScottElwood
Hey man, I'm a guitarist in the North Shore if you ever need somebody. Depends on your skill level though, I'm more toward the beginner but starting to get to be intermediate. Send me a PM if interested.

PMing.
Anyone got song recommendations for BTBAM?