Hey all,

first time poster here and general guitar noob so please bear with me if on not fully clued up.

After using my Schecter diamond series omen extreme electric guitar for around 2 years, i'm beginning to want a more full bodied, warmer sound, something with good depth in the mid and low range sounds, but with a nice subtle kick of bass also while on the clean channel. if that makes any scene.

then when i swap to overdrive/distortion channel im wanting to get a nice grunty full sound with quite a bit of drive in it.

i was at my local music store this morning and tried out a fender guitar, the guy in the store told me it had Seymour Duncan SHPGP-1B pearly gates bridge pickups and SH-1N '59 neck pickups. i liked the clean sound of these but in the overdrive channel they were lacking the drive i was after.

so my question to all you who have played around a little is what pickups should i look at trying out and buying. i play mostly rock, but swap between clean and dirty often and require a good sound equally on both.

my apologies for being long winded, i wanted to try give as much info as i can to best describe myself.

Thanks
Thomas
Last edited by HKSR33 at Feb 11, 2009,
Amp?
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
sory, i use a marshall MG15DFX for practice and the MG250 for stage work, only running the standard channel select switch for the 250 amp and a boss DS-1 pedal for the MG15.

hope this helps
Aaaand that would explain the tone. What exactly is your budget for pickups?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
around NZ$600

what do you mean that would explain the tone? are the amps i use not best suited for my application?
mg sucks, you are paying for the brand name, not the tone

check out some blackstar amps, or a peavey valveking....and i mean BEFORE you spend money on new pups
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
mg sucks, you are paying for the brand name, not the tone

check out some blackstar amps, or a peavey valveking....and i mean BEFORE you spend money on new pups

This man speaks the truth.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
oro? the reviews i read about these amps seemed pretty good. that sucks. the amps seem ok to me, i guess now the sound im after is changing.

so you guys suggest to change the amps? i dont really have the budget to buy new amps atm. so better to wait till i can buy new amp or do pickups now?
i would recommend putting it in your savings account, and keep building till you can get a decent amp

really, a set of new pickups will be well over a hundred dollars, about 1/3 of your nice used combo amp

nothing wrong with solid state either, check out a peavy vypyr or something, depending on your playing style, but having some nice new pickups really comes into play when you go tube
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
alrighty, thanks alot for the advice guys. ill look into that direction a bit then. cheers