Ok, so after 2+ years of my drummer and I trying to find other band members and gigs, we finally nail a gig for this saturday. It's at his friend's house party, and we're going on before his friend's band. He (my drummer) also found a bassist and 2nd guitarist/singer, as he goes to school with them. We're definitely playing the gig, but there's a few things with it that concern me:

1. My drummer and I have 3 originals that we've come up with (2 we have down and finished completely and 1 that needs a small amount of tweaking but nothing that a few minutes of work won't help), and 1 cover- Aerials by System of A Down. The thing is, we're having our first jam/practice session with the bassist and 2nd guitarist/singer on the day of the gig, but we'll be able to practice for a few hours before the gig (it starts at 5 and we're gettin there around 12 or 1). Should this be enough time for us to finish the 1 song and add a bassline and another guitar track to it and the other 2 to round them out?

2. Since it's really short notice, our 2nd guitarist/singer won't have enough time to add proper lyrics to our finished songs and we're just gonna make them instrumentals for now, but they're structured so that they'd be good as instrumentals. The thing is, I think my drummer said the other band is doing the same thing but he's not entirely sure. If they don't, will this still work out in our favor?

3. How should we start/end the show? Should we just get up and play, or should we let the crowd (as much of a crowd that 20-30 people can be) that it's our very 1st gig? Also, how should we structure our set list? We have one acoustic song, and 2 heavy Godsmack/Alice In Chains inspired songs. I was thinking I could do a quick tapping solo intro when we start the show, kinda like to fire up the crowd a little and then go into one of our heavier songs, then the acoustic, then another heavy one, and end on Aerials.

4. We're going to be video taping this and taking lots of pics to kinda archive it and go back on it and study it later, and just for us to have it if we ever wanna look back on it. Good idea?

Anyway, any advice is most certainly welcome on anything about this.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
1. You're playin in front of 20 people in a basement - don't worry too much about set time. Feel out the audience, if they're diggin it, keep goin, if not, thank them and bail.

2. If they're not paying to see you guys, which I doubt they are (paying to get into a basement sounds... dysfunctional), do your best to be entertaining, play cleanly, and use this opportunity to hone your show.

3. Start and end with a song. Start with something that grips them, end with something more in depth that'll leave them wanting to see you play again. I'd skip the tapping intro - they're not there to see you run drills - they're there to see a band play. Oh, and telling them all it's your first gig = bad idea. It shows lacking confidence.

4. Great idea. It's how football teams learn from their mistakes. Nothing like an outside, impartial perspective.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Good suggestions from strat0blaster, but I'd also add that you should probably have a practice the night before at least.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by pengiunman
Good suggestions from strat0blaster, but I'd also add that you should probably have a practice the night before at least.

The thing about that is that our current practice spot is our drummer's basement and it's only available in the morning on weekdays when his parents aren't home, and I'll be working that day.

Quote by strat0blaster
3. Start and end with a song. Start with something that grips them, end with something more in depth that'll leave them wanting to see you play again. I'd skip the tapping intro - they're not there to see you run drills - they're there to see a band play. Oh, and telling them all it's your first gig = bad idea. It shows lacking confidence.

I was thinking it would be a bad idea to tell them that at the start, I was just looking for a second opinion. I was thinking it would be a better idea to say something at the end along the lines of "By the way, that was our first gig and we're hoping it to be the 1st of many more".

I have another thing to ask. How should we structure our setlist with our songs? I was thinking something like this:

Acoustic song
Heavy song
Aerials
Heavy song (the one I'm thinking of ending with is a good mosh worthy song)
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
1. That is definitely not enough time. It's very difficult to teach two people a few songs and get them to perform well with people they've never played before in one day. That being said, if the guys are good players they should be able to pull it off. However, I really think it would be better if you could all meet and practice more than once before the show.

2. Why does the singer need to write the lyrics? What's preventing you from writing them? Given the time constraints though, I think it's better if you leave the songs as instrumentals for now. Don't worry about what the other band is doing. As long as you put on a good show and play good music people will be happy.

3. Like strat0blaster said, just go into the music. They are there for a show. Don't waste time telling them it's your first show. Most people don't care and frankly it discredits you.

4. Of course it's a good idea! It's nice to have records of gigs and it's useful.

I hope Saturday goes well.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
Quote by Baba O'Riley
2. Why does the singer need to write the lyrics? What's preventing you from writing them? Given the time constraints though, I think it's better if you leave the songs as instrumentals for now. Don't worry about what the other band is doing. As long as you put on a good show and play good music people will be happy.

I hope Saturday goes well.

We need him because they come really easy to him (he's already written alot), and my drummer and I both suck at coming up with lyrics.

And thanks.
Last edited by Helloween_rox at Feb 12, 2009,