hey guys, i have an annoying problem with my setup... i have a brand new Bugera 333XL 212 combo, Godin Redline 1 w/ EMG 81.... i am getting this ugly cheap pinging sound when i pick a string...
anyway, you will see what i mean in the video... please keep in mine that the recording with my Metal Muff-Electro Harmonix pedal, it sound a little ugly during recording but in live playing it sounds much better than the provided amp distortion. i am recording though a computer mic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbrvCT5Hvg
Gear: Jackson DKMG BLK
Cubase sx3
Bugera 333XL Combo
Cry - Baby Wah pedal
Digitech Digital Delay pedal
Last edited by chinchek at Feb 12, 2009,
I didn't listen to the clip but you do realize these amps have had some issues. Yes? No?

Have you been to the Bugera User Militia thread yet? Have you read the blog from BeerChurch? I'm not saying those things could be your issue but it was my understanding that a bulk of the issues stem from either bad tubes, poor biasing, or output transformer connections. Get that stuff checked out before you turn it on.

It could be something else but you shouldn't be getting an ugly ping sound if the amp is set up properly.
I have a couple of Bugeras and if setup properly they are great amps. I did have some bad experiences with the 333XLs I had, both had a solder connection from the power transformer burn out (easy fix if you know what you are doing but still a distrubing trend none the less). The biggest issue I have seen with these amps is the quality of the tubes and the biasing. I would recommend going to Eurotubes and getting a new set for that amp. He has tubes sets specfically for the sound you want out of the 333xl; they run around $100-140 for all the preamp and power tubes. They will need to be biased with a bias probe that plugs into a tube socket(not the RCA jack crap bugera recommends). The ones i have measured like 14mA! which is crazy low. They need to be around 36-40mA.
Also the Metal Muff really isn't needed on the Bugera as the lead channel has more than enough gain and the muff can be a bit thin sounding.
Hope this helps.
Theres nothing wrong with it.
I assume you had a darker amplifier before buying the 333XL correct?

You should know the 333XL is a very bright high gain amp.
You adjust over time.
Im personaly geting an EQ pedal to customize the harmonic sound of the channel with a little more bass before the distortion.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I heard a difference between the amp and the pedal. but nothing I'd be concerned about.
Sounded almost like an elongated attack to me... does the bugera push the reverb tank hard when the gain/pre is dimed like that? Maybe it has some weird natural compression?
Thanks for the replies everyone!

i dunno if you would call it darker.. but i just sold my Marshal MG100HDFX for the 333xl combo. This is also my first Tube amp... so i am very new to this sound. i just thought it would have more clarity.

i dont think im going to do any upgrades right now (more likely summer time when cash flows), but what kit from eurotubes should i get for metal, (power metal, epic metal, metalcore, classic metal)... and would an speaker upgrade be good to, like Celestial V30's?
Cubase sx3
Bugera 333XL Combo
Cry - Baby Wah pedal
Last edited by chinchek at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by BeerChurch
+101

Gain down....Master UP UP UP!!!

thank you, i will check it out when i get home from work.
Cubase sx3
Bugera 333XL Combo
Cry - Baby Wah pedal
Quote by BeerChurch
+101

Gain down....Master UP UP UP!!!

i think i might start a group called "people who DONT DIME THEIR GAIN", because im sick and tired of watching people come on here and say "i tried out *insert very high gain amp here* and it sucked" when it turns out their gain was maxed out. to the TS, those 333xls are pretty heavy and for most sounds, i've found that the crunch channel with the gain at 8.5 or the ultra with the gain at 5.5 usually suffices
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i dunno guys, doesnt matter how low i put the gain, or how low i put the volume or even the treble... i still get that sharp pinging sound... listen closely to 0:17-0:21. but i dont get it on my metal muff pedal...
i wish you can hear it live because you would definitely be questioning it..
Cubase sx3
Bugera 333XL Combo
Cry - Baby Wah pedal