So i want to build a guitar, but I really have no idea where to start with on woods, for neck backs, finger boards, body. All I know right now is that i want a black binding on the body and I want the body in a standard strat shape.

As for feel , I want his guitar to be versatile. I want to be able to cover a wide spectrum of styles ( blues, reggae, southern rock, classical, funk..etc). Almost everything excluding metal because I have a separate guitar for that .

As for pickups and hardware, I haven't looked into it yet, I am not sure were to start really...

So go nuts! I'll be taking notes!
I suggest an HSS combination.
For a first project go with a cheap wood.
Stewmac is the place to go to get all of your building suplys. You will need a router and a Binding bit to do the channel for the black binding. You can go to warmoth for made already necks. Or you can buy neck blanks and body blanks at your local lumber or even ebay. you can get fingerboards at Stewmac.com.

Most used tools:
Router
Clamps
Band-Saw
Roto-Orbital Sander
Sapele body, Cury maple set neck, 24 frets, 24 2/4" scale, jumbo frets. Gotoh floyd rose.
some ideas
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Dude, there are treasure troves of information on UG and warmoth and everything. Just slowly but surely plan it out, and buy some books, i guess....
Do you have other woodworking experience? Access to tools? Steady income?

First tip: If you haven't done anything like this before, you may want to consider saving yourself some grief by using an adjustable flatmount hard tail bridge like this
(Invalid img)
Instead of monkeying around with difficult routing for a trem or trying to figure out neck angles for a TOM. You'll thank me later
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Wouldn't a floating bridge be more easier? Then again, I guess you cant get whammy with floating. That pissed me off when I got my Kerry King Signature Wartribe guitar. I thought it had whammy. It's my Rythm guitar mostly now.
Uh... what?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Do you have other woodworking experience? Access to tools? Steady income?
This was going to be my first question

I suggest

www.projectguitar.com

start reading through the tutorials they have there on building guitars.

and

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

buy and read it a few times, you can start planning your guitar alongside reading it, but if you have a lot of time on your hands I would read it through at least once first.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by timbit2006
Wouldn't a floating bridge be more easier? Then again, I guess you cant get whammy with floating. That pissed me off when I got my Kerry King Signature Wartribe guitar. I thought it had whammy. It's my Rythm guitar mostly now.

This is one of the most disturbing things I have ever read
Quote by divinorum69
This is one of the most disturbing things I have ever read

Ahaha, oh sweet Jesus!

OT:

Neck through, with zero neck angle and either a flatmount bridge or recessed Tune-O-Matic is probably the easiest way to get your feet wet. Also, try to buy a pre-slotted and radiused fingerboard.
you can get a prebuilt neck on ebay for cheap. I'd suggest that with a sapele or alder body stratocaster shape with the flatmount bridge that bobby mentioned. Go with a simple oil finish and a hss or SSS setup.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.