I like there distortion tone they use what should I put my amp setting on?

sorry if theres been a thread about this already but I searched and didnt find anything

thanks guys!
I think there was a thread about this a long time ago.

Anyway, the tone's pretty crappy (but that's not necessarily a bad thing). I used to get pretty close with my Squier strat and Squier practice amp. Treble probably about 7, bass at about 4. Worked OK for clean and distortion.
i see i'm late to the party, but maybe someone will see it still, haha.
anyways, tim's always used mesa amps, and a shit load of guitars so that part doesn't really matter.
the tone while being bad, is probably one of the easiest to recognize tones ever.
it's ridiculously trebly, but with mids pretty low, and the bass maybe at a third to retain some low frequencies.
and a lot of it had to do with recording because whoever did the guitars didn't exactly record them well.
so i think with too much treble, high gain, and either a horrible studio engineer or one who knows a LOT will be good for you to get you closest to that famous Operation Ivy tone.
I used to get a really good op ivy tone just out of a boss distortion pedal. the standard orange one.
it's got volume, tone, gain and overdrive knobs.
voume at w/e
tone all the way up for more treble. overdrive low and gain as high as it goes if i remember correctly it's been awhile.
When i was doing that I was just playing on a shitty ibanez fat strat knock off on the bridge(humbucker) setting into a little 10w practice amp w/o the overdrive turned on.

Basically it comes down to you want a lot of treble on your tone settings and tube distortion. nothing too metaly. I think tim was playing on a strat at the time, probably a knockoff. and probably played on the bridge pickup. just a guess tho.

it's very distinct from rancids tone which is all gibson humbuckers through marshall distortion.

I just remember this very distinctly cause it was just as i was learning to play and i had one petal and played around with a lot. and listening to a lot of op ivy at the time i was very surprised at how similar my tone came to theirs.
Last edited by Against Him? at Feb 2, 2010,
Quote by Against Him?
I used to get a really good op ivy tone just out of a boss distortion pedal. the standard orange one.
it's got volume, tone, gain and overdrive knobs.
voume at w/e
tone all the way up for more treble. overdrive low and gain as high as it goes if i remember correctly it's been awhile.
When i was doing that I was just playing on a shitty ibanez fat strat knock off on the bridge(humbucker) setting into a little 10w practice amp w/o the overdrive turned on.

Basically it comes down to you want a lot of treble on your tone settings and tube distortion. nothing too metaly. I think tim was playing on a strat at the time, probably a knockoff. and probably played on the bridge pickup. just a guess tho.

it's very distinct from rancids tone which is
all gibson humbuckers through marshall distortion.

I just remember this very distinctly cause it was just as i was learning to play and i had one petal and played around with a lot. and listening to a lot of op ivy at the time i was very surprised at how similar my tone came to theirs.

tim uses mainly gretsch now, (71 country club has been used for just about all of his studio recordings) and has used hagstrom a lot too. he has had a couple gibsons though. as for amps, he uses a mesa triple rec, and has stated that he's used that for just about every rancid record. so while Lars uses all Gibson (not all humbuckers though) + Marshall, it doesn't mean that's Rancid's tone in a nut shell.
i'm not being a dick, but i just thought this information would be helpful to you so you know a few things about the subject
I get so excited when I see these Operation Ivy tone threads because it gives all the haters a chance to trash Tim Armstrongs guitar tone. When there is a million of these threads and a lot of people curious and maaany people trying to replicate.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
I get so excited when I see these Operation Ivy tone threads because it gives all the haters a chance to trash Tim Armstrongs guitar tone. When there is a million of these threads and a lot of people curious and maaany people trying to replicate.

i know what you mean.
i ****ing love his tone. his tone for Rancid is awesome, and even though the quality of his guitar sound back in the op ivy days was horrible, i can't think of any other tone that's so easily recognizable.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Everyone who insists Tim Armstrong has a horrible guitar tone is silly.

well back in Ivy, the guitar had way too much treble, and although i like it, tone wise, it doesn't sound as good as if you were to dial down the treble and bring up some mids and bass, but then again, it wouldn't be operation ivy's signature guitar tone.
Quote by SeanX3187
i see i'm late to the party, but maybe someone will see it still, haha.
anyways, tim's always used mesa amps, and a shit load of guitars so that part doesn't really matter.
the tone while being bad, is probably one of the easiest to recognize tones ever.
it's ridiculously trebly, but with mids pretty low, and the bass maybe at a third to retain some low frequencies.
and a lot of it had to do with recording because whoever did the guitars didn't exactly record them well.
so i think with too much treble, high gain, and either a horrible studio engineer or one who knows a LOT will be good for you to get you closest to that famous Operation Ivy tone.

Wasn't he using a Vox AC30 combo back in the Op Ivy days?
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
Wasn't he using a Vox AC30 combo back in the Op Ivy days?

i was reading an interview with him and he said he's always used Mesa...

"Q: I am a huge Operation Ivy fan, and I have a two-part question. First, do you think that Operation Ivy will ever reunite? Second, how did you get such a raunchy guitar sound on those albums. It’s awesome! —Troy “K-10” Reissmann

A: I’m extremely proud of my work in Operation Ivy, and we did those 19 songs in one day. The energy was ****ing crazy! Plus, we didn’t make a lot of mistakes, and we were together, so it was awesome. We played together from 1987 to 1989, and a reunion just seems weird to me. As an artist, I always want to move on to the new project. As for my guitar sound, it was similar to what I have now. I used a Mesa/Boogie combo, and I’ve always loved Mesa/Boogie—they overdrive without a pedal. I did use a pedal when we recorded the Hectic EP, but on the Energy record I used only the Mesa."

here's the link as well... it's about halfway down
Cool. guess I was wrong. I personally think Mesas are better for metal and lack the warmth of a tube Fender or Marshall. But if it worked for him then great.

Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
Cool. guess I was wrong. I personally think Mesas are better for metal and lack the warmth of a tube Fender or Marshall. But if it worked for him then great.

i've found that 6L6s don't sound as good as EL34s (purely opinion, don't go crazy people) and that's why most Marshalls sound better (again, opinion) but some Mesas have the bias switch in back so you can use EL34s, and I've got to say, it's amazing. Fenders sound great though, even though i'm pretty sure most use 6L6. i guess 6L6 has a more "American" tone while EL34s are more "British." My old amp repair guy said that.
so in short, if you load up a Mesa with EL34s, i'm pretty sure you'll get that Marshall warmth you're looking for.
Quote by BR0KENHEARTED
Mesa<333

if only i could afford one.
triple rec... on my "first to buy if i ever make money" list
Quote by SeanX3187
if only i could afford one.
triple rec... on my "first to buy if i ever make money" list

I love mine. <33333333

Quote by SeanX3187
i've found that 6L6s don't sound as good as EL34s (purely opinion, don't go crazy people) and that's why most Marshalls sound better (again, opinion) but some Mesas have the bias switch in back so you can use EL34s, and I've got to say, it's amazing. Fenders sound great though, even though i'm pretty sure most use 6L6. i guess 6L6 has a more "American" tone while EL34s are more "British." My old amp repair guy said that.
so in short, if you load up a Mesa with EL34s, i'm pretty sure you'll get that Marshall warmth you're looking for.

Tubes have a lot to do with it, but nowadays since I'm not playing guitar anymore, all I'm worried about is bass tone. And I got that covered.

The Operation Ivy tone isn't conventionally "good," but it's good in a way because it suits the music. To me it sounds pretty cold and harsh, but it works for them, which is what's important.
Speaking of Tim Armstrong's guitar tone...
Not only does he have a Fender acoustic-electric, Gretsch just released his own signature electric.
I'm not sure how I feel about him having signature guitars, but I definitely want them.
A lot of what you hear as an awful guitar tone from OpIv is just how the mp3s are. I have a bunch of their original pressing EPs on vinyl, and they actually sound better (still not good. I do not like that tone). Also, when OpIv were touring, they just used whatever amps were already at the venue/basement. They didn't bring amps on the road, just a drum set and their guitars. Tim has NOT always used Mesa, just with Rancid.

Also, Gibson humbuckers through Marshall? That's technically right, it's just Lars, not Tim.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
A lot of what you hear as an awful guitar tone from OpIv is just how the mp3s are. I have a bunch of their original pressing EPs on vinyl, and they actually sound better (still not good. I do not like that tone). Also, when OpIv were touring, they just used whatever amps were already at the venue/basement. They didn't bring amps on the road, just a drum set and their guitars. Tim has NOT always used Mesa, just with Rancid.

Also, Gibson humbuckers through Marshall? That's technically right, it's just Lars, not Tim.

that makes sense. from videos and stuff i've just always noticed tim playing a les paul, sg or his semi-hollow which i guess i assumed was a gibson also but i guess it's not. their tone tends to sound like humbuckers through a marshall.

i stand corrected tho.
i was just going by what Tim said in his interview.
and live is much different than in the studio.
i have no doubt that he used different amps live, many people do.
Lars uses his sg with p90s a lot on stage (not amps, but same idea) so live performances usually tend to have different setups. but i'm pretty confident that tim has used Mesa in the studio for a majority of his career with his gretsch country club (started in the mid 90's) Hagstrom semi-hollow which i think he had since the beginning of Rancid, possibly late Ivy, and yeah some Gibsons, but they've been fairly minimal.
and i'll agree about the gibson humbuckers through marshall for lars, because his studio rig is just the epi les paul custom and the jcm 900 half stack.
Treble, Strat, and BR0KENHEARTED Mesa.

Thank you for your time.
That's Just How The $treet Rolls Son.