I'm 16 years old and been playing guitar for a while and been loving every second of it. I love to play classic rock, rock, hard rock basically a lot of rock and some metal/80's metal or something as a little twist. bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Gun's and Roses, Velvet Revolver, AC/DC, The Strokes, AFI, Bon Jovi and so on lol, I'm hoping to start practicing with my band and probably start to do some small gigs or something and continue this music career through college so if i don't make it as a musician i'll have a fall back job which i would want to be something within the music industry. enough about me...

Right now i have pretty pretty basic ibanez guitar and 15W ibanez solid state amp (package deal... woops?!) so i don't know to much about what other guitars feel like compared to mine i know for a fact that that little amp isn't good lol. i also have Boss SD-1 and like to expand my pedals with distortion, wah-wah, suppressor/noise-gate, delay just whatever is a classic/rock "must" but gonna hold off on that till i find a priority of what gear to replace before the other.

My question is what to put more money into and what to get before the other. Should i hold off on buying a new guitar and buy a new amp or vise-versa.

Gonna be going to guitar center i think soon so might try out some stuff just would like opinions since i'm new to the tech side of guitar.

oh and my budget could be ~$500 for an amp and ~$900 for a guitar but if its really really worth it i'll save up some more cash along the way to invest in a better deal.
Rule of thumb= Spend more on your amp than your guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Rule of thumb= Spend more on your amp than your guitar.

Yeah, chances are you'll only have one amp (you don't really need more than one unless you're adam jones) so you want to spend the most on it, and then most people have multiple guitars, and you can get good quality guitars for cheaper than a good amp.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by tona_107
Yeah, chances are you'll only have one amp (you don't really need more than one unless you're adam jones) so you want to spend the most on it, and then most people have multiple guitars, and you can get good quality guitars for cheaper than a good amp.

Yeah, but stereo is just so much damn fun. Let's reverse that, and say you have $900 for an amp, and $500 for a guitar.

The used world is full of possibilities for you. Mesa DCs, F Series, Mark Series, the list goeth on.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.