Currently i am in a decent metal band with rick playing lead and vocals, me playing rythym ,darren playing bass and derek playing drums. I like being in the band alot but i dont make any descisions or organize shows or even contribute much in writing songs ( same boat with as the bassist). And what i want to do is start a new kind of progressive/alternative band like muse,incubus and kinda jazzy is what we're aiming for and the member line up is kevin and rob as our singers me and joe as guitar players darren as the bassist and misha as the drummer. And im just wondering is it kind of douchey to not include rick(the guitarist im in a metal band with at the moment ) into this project. The reason i dont want to really have him is because hes kind of a control freak and i want to be able to participate in writing more and making music with different people but at the same time he invited me into his metal band which was really awsome of him seeing as he is a better guitarist and i liked the band alot.

So is it rude to not invite rick into this new band?
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Nope, it's not rude at all, you are talking about a side project yes?
Well the whole purpose of a side project is to do something away from the other band members and their influence and expand yourself in a slightly or even dramaticaly different direction.
If you invited rick because it'd be rude not to, then it'd also be rude not to invite all the other members of your current band too, which is obviously just insane because that's not a side project, it's the same damn band.
I only see Darren and you in both bands so it is a legit side-project. So as Slacker says, not rude at all.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Nope, it's not rude at all, you are talking about a side project yes?
Well the whole purpose of a side project is to do something away from the other band members and their influence and expand yourself in a slightly or even dramaticaly different direction. If you
invited rick because it'd be rude not to, then it'd also be rude not to invite all the other members of your current band too, which is obviously just insane because that's not a side project, it's the same damn band

haha I laughed at that. True, though.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by Bobsam3
Currently i am in a decent metal band with rick playing lead and vocals, me playing rythym ,darren playing bass and derek playing drums. I like being in the band alot but i dont make any descisions or organize shows or even contribute much in writing songs ( same boat with as the bassist). And what i want to do is start a new kind of progressive/alternative band like muse,incubus and kinda jazzy is what we're aiming for and the member line up is kevin and rob as our singers me and joe as guitar players darren as the bassist and misha as the drummer. And im just wondering is it kind of douchey to not include rick(the guitarist im in a metal band with at the moment ) into this project. The reason i dont want to really have him is because hes kind of a control freak and i want to be able to participate in writing more and making music with different people but at the same time he invited me into his metal band which was really awsome of him seeing as he is a better guitarist and i liked the band alot.

So is it rude to not invite rick into this new band?

well, are you thinking of eventually quiting teh other band? or you plan to stay in both?
I'm in a very similar situation as you and the control freak from band one is completely fine with it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.