Ok so I know this is a ridiculous sounding question but is there a scale that has kind of a scary, creepy undertone to it?
No. Scales don't have moods. The scale is very nearly irrelevant in the overall sound of the music.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by silversoulcage
Hmmm, how would one go about getting a desired sound from a riff?

Listen to "scary" music and analyze it. See what other people do.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No. Scales don't have moods. The scale is very nearly irrelevant in the overall sound of the music.

thats true. its not so much the scale but more about how you play it as well as whats going on behind the playing. i mean, i can play in a major scale which is normally considered "happy" but depending on how i play it, i can make it sound sad as well.

i cant really think of a scale that might sound scary off the bat though. maybe just pick a root note like E for example and then keep going through the notes and pick the ones that have the most dissonent sound. maybe start with the harmonic minor or something and fiddle around with it. i think though it would depend on the song as a whole more than the scale that would give a scary sound.
Tritones and m3's are a start... just play with intervals and accentuate the 'creepier' sounding ones in your music.

And to answer any followup question that you have, do a search on UG for articles about intervals. Good luck.
Last edited by Kaos_00 at Feb 12, 2009,
"Scary" is a rather subjective term. Can you be more specific? There's no "Spooky Scale" like there is a blues scale (which is used plenty in metal and jazz), but my guess is that music that most would considering frightening has some common traits that we can help you idenfity.
Quote by silversoulcage
Ok so I know this is a ridiculous sounding question but is there a scale that has kind of a scary, creepy undertone to it?
Most of that "creepy" sounding stuff you hear is just a slower melody played low. Minor tonality can help (not as much as most people think), but creepy music in major tonality is perfectly possible.

No magical scales or magical progressions.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
Most of that "creepy" sounding stuff you hear is just a slower melody played low. Minor tonality can help (not as much as most people think), but creepy music in major tonality is perfectly possible.

No magical scales or magical progressions.

"Scary" is 1 of the most personal emotions, and may even be more distinct then "love". It's also an acquired emotion. (which is why I love psychological thriller movies so much).

everyone is afraid of something different, and it's not a universal feeling.

The jaws tune; the 2 notes played are only scary if you have watched the movie, because it reminds of the shark coming. It's rather nostalgic then "scary"

I find a music box playing a (major key) jingle in like 5th register scary when doubled with droning synth, because nothing in this world is so innocent, it makes me scared

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 12, 2009,