so I'm set on changing my american HSS strat to an SSS configuration

i've got the pick ups, and an SSS pickguard, what else do i need?

i read that the humbucker uses a 500k pot, so do I just need to replace that with a 250k?

do the other pots need to be changed as well?

what about knobs, my volume knob has s-1 switching, do i need to change it?

thanks a bunch!
Quote by ozy!d!ot
why would you take out the humbucker?

it's just not doing it for me.

I'd rather have the vintage "strat" sound come from my strat, as that is what they are best at.

i'm planning get a les paul down the line for my heavier needs.
Changing to a 250K pot should do it but I am not sure the S-1 switching will transfer to the new set up because I think it is actually a stacked push-push pot..

Why not just get a coil tap for the humbucker? Best of both worlds, single and humbucking modes.
Get a coil tap for it , that'd be your best option , you wouldn't have to fill the hole left by the humbucker , change the pots , none of that.
hmmm yeah, that is a possibility. but I don't think I'm ever going to use the humbucker on the strat anyway

and i'm going to replace all the pickups with fender 57/62 reissues.

i think i'll just buy a loaded pickguard
The fender Custom Shop pickups aren't that great. I'd go boutique, if I were you.
Get a set of 59 Smooth Grooves from RockMonkeyGuitars.com.

I have set, they're amazing. Also, Chris gives a 10% discount to UGers.

Learn how to wire your own pickups, too. It's an invaluable skill, and it's really not that hard to do.
I have a custom extra warm smooth groove in the middle position of my strat. Sounds great and is unbeliveably clear and chimey. And they're priced well too.

And as forsaknazrael said, changing your own pickups is easy if you have patience. Mine worked first time and I had no prior electronic experience. I just read up on it.
Quote by vik_man
hmmm yeah, that is a possibility. but I don't think I'm ever going to use the humbucker on the strat anyway

and i'm going to replace all the pickups with fender 57/62 reissues.

i think i'll just buy a loaded pickguard
This is a sensible plan.

Either buy a prewired pickguard or just buy all new components and wire it up yourself.
An American Standard Strat SSS with a standard fender 5way is not that complicated.
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0107400_02C/SD0107400_02CPg2.pdf

On the other hand, a HSS with a 4P5T superswitch and the 4PDT S-1 is VERY complicated.
http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/stratocaster/0101590_92A/SD0101590_92APg2.pdf

plus, if you don't mess with the wiring, you could sell that for BIG bucks.
you could easily sell that used for almost the same price you'll pay for a new guard, controls, switch and some excellent pickups like Lace or Fralin or Wilde.

S-1 switches are hard as hell to find.
A complete pickguard with S-1 wiring should sell fast.

btw, just to dispel any myths: the volume control for the HSS is not 500k. it's still a 250k, even though there is a HB involved. maybe not the best choice, but that's the way Fender did it. And the S-1 is not a stacked pot. It's a single pot with a push-push switch.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
^

hey thanks, selling the loaded HSS pickguard never even occured to me.

it's tempting me to spend a little more on this now

Quote by forsaknazrael
The fender Custom Shop pickups aren't that great. I'd go boutique, if I were you.
Get a set of 59 Smooth Grooves from RockMonkeyGuitars.com.

I have set, they're amazing. Also, Chris gives a 10% discount to UGers.

Learn how to wire your own pickups, too. It's an invaluable skill, and it's really not that hard to do.

is this CorduroyEW's shop?

because I read a post of his about Frusciante's pickups and he seems incredibly knowledgable about reproducing the vintage '62 tone. those 1962 smooth grooves might be the ones for me.
^Yes it is. And selling the pickguard with s1 switching is great idea.