Hey everybody,
so, i'm looking for a fender tube amp that will hopefully (along with my barber direct drive and barber tone press pedals) will get me in the ballpark of john mayer's tone - yeah, i know i know, his tone comes from his hands... i just want a ballpark, i still wanna make it my own.
so, what do you think? i'm hoping to spend for sure under 1000, hopefully more like 850 or less. i was thinking a hot rod deluxe reissue, a blues deluxe reissue, a deluxe reverb reissue, etc. Remember, i have a great overdrive pedal, so i don't need a huge natural break up. Perferrably something that is clean quite loud (so that i have the clean/overdriven choice), as i don't wanna have to replace it once i start playing larger venues.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
The hotrod deluxes are pretty good, they have a well balanced top end/mids/bass for a fender, not so much scooped like the typical fender tones. A bassman would be more ideal, but the amps are pretty similar.

Keep in mind the hot rod deluxes are really really loud with the volume on 2.

I'll check the used prices of some amps I have in mind on ebay and get back to you.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Alright,

I know John Mayer has a rather dark blues tone, pretty bassy, not too trebly....

Fender Bassman Reissues
Fender Bandmasters
Mesa Lone Star (bit over the price range, but IMO, much much more versatile)
Krank Chadwick (awsome plexi type amp)
Mesa F series is very dark, and versatile as well

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
John Mayer uses a Deluxe reverb Reissue with a single 15 inch speaker, just like SRV, but without the rectifier mods.
Like good folk/indie music? Check us out at www.myspace.com/mckenzieshae
ARRGH, MATEYS!! I Be a PIT PIRATE!! sworn enemy of the PIT NINJAS! I am the 30th pit pirate to sail under the great command of justinhawkins, MATEYS! (pm justinhawkins to join)
Well, now he's using 2 rocks and dumble OS's.

15'' speakers do sound like a good choice, like I said about his tone, a 15 would cut out the brightness very well.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hey thanks so much for all your input, i really appreciate it!

so, do you think that the deluxe reverb reissue is too quiet for clean stage use at 22 watts? i know that it has a nice sound, but i really wanna be able to keep my first tube amp for as long as i can... thoughts?

and, i really love john's dark bassy tone as you said MESAexplorer, but he also has quite distinct (but rounded and nice) highs, hey? and hes fairly mid scooped, with the mids coming through with a little more dirt, yes? correct me if i'm wrong. does the hotrod deluxe have a really even sound? is it almost too even and twangy? remember, i'd only use the clean channel, but thats what i'm afraid of with these amps that have "blues" and such in their name - i love blues tone, but i definitely don't want a tone as heavy as SRV. then again, i don't want as light as Jimi, if you know what i mean by heavy and light. I really just want a high quality tube amp, preferably fender (that's what i've played with my guitar teacher and in other places, and i love them) that has a very john mayer-esque clean sound, and i can dirty it up with my pedals if i need to.

thanks, your replies help so much
Quote by stopthistrain7
hey thanks so much for all your input, i really appreciate it!

so, do you think that the deluxe reverb reissue is too quiet for clean stage use at 22 watts? i know that it has a nice sound, but i really wanna be able to keep my first tube amp for as long as i can... thoughts?

and, i really love john's dark bassy tone as you said MESAexplorer, but he also has quite distinct (but rounded and nice) highs, hey? and hes fairly mid scooped, with the mids coming through with a little more dirt, yes? correct me if i'm wrong. does the hotrod deluxe have a really even sound? is it almost too even and twangy? remember, i'd only use the clean channel, but thats what i'm afraid of with these amps that have "blues" and such in their name - i love blues tone, but i definitely don't want a tone as heavy as SRV. then again, i don't want as light as Jimi, if you know what i mean by heavy and light. I really just want a high quality tube amp, preferably fender (that's what i've played with my guitar teacher and in other places, and i love them) that has a very john mayer-esque clean sound, and i can dirty it up with my pedals if i need to.

thanks, your replies help so much

22watts is pretty loud for a tube amp. My friend had a 10 watt fender which would get pretty smoking without breaking a sweat.

As far as the overall tone it's hard to describe, speaking from an outside of a specific amp, but overall EQ of the amps tone, not knobs, they're going to be very very mid based. The way the Fender's natural EQ is (somewhat scooped and bright), running the EQ relatively flat with the mids or bass boosted a tad will bring out the darkness and thickness.

You're going to get a lot of control over the tone through the OD pedal, the tone knob on it is usually the difference between a fat drive and a crisp drive such as SRV.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio