I have been playing the guitar for a little more than half a year and have never seemed to over come this one obstacle. There are certain types of chords i just cant seem to figure how to play no matter what. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question.

Here are a few examples of the chords im having problem playing.

--------------------------------------------------5--------------7--------9-----
------------------------------------------------- 5--------------9--------10-----
---12--------9----------3----------------------6--------------9------- 11----
--------------------------------------------------7--------------9--------11----
----10-------7-----------1----------------------7--------------7--------9-----
--------------------------------------------------5-------------------------------

for the first group i have no idea what to do with that empty space between the 2 notes please help. How do i strum without hitting the note in the middle of the two notes?

as for the second group im having problems holding one entire fret then holing down two or three other stings after it like the one with 7 then a group of three 9's and then a 7. how do i hold down the 9's without canceling out any other strings or getting an unclean sound?
Last edited by Trenalsur at Feb 12, 2009,
the first set you play with your index and ring fingers. with the index you kinda. rest it on the middle string to mute it.

as for the second set. you lay your index finger across the board and use your middle, ring, and pinky finger to press on the other frets. try curving and rolling your index a little bit back to make it easier to fret the barre chord

and last but not least. practice. i know it's cliched answer but it's the truth.
good luck
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
the first example you gave are octave things, play them with your index and ring finger, and your index finger shoul naturally rest across the string in the middle of the two. just strum the strings and the unwanted notes should be muted. and then there's the barre chords. that 79997 one is kinda hard, i use my ring finger or pinky to hold down the three notes in the middle, and the other two i barre with my index. but the highest note is always muffled. don't worry i have the same problem. its okay though its still a full chord
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
oh crap i was beaten to it
Originally Posted by Kill Factory
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:

Gain: 0
Bass: 0
Mid: 0
Treble: 0

Master Volume: 0

HAHA!
The first three chords can be done by muting the D string with the finger that is on the A string.

The 4th, 5th and 6th chords are barre chords. There are some lessons on barre chords in the ultimate guitar lessons. If you look at the top of the screen, you will see a bar which on the left starts with guitar tabs, around the middle you will see lessons. Search the lessons for barre chords.
for the first chords place a finger (probably the finger thats on the 10th fret for your first example) on the string in between the 2 notes but dont push down hard enough to make a sound...its basically a palm mute but instead of using your strumming hand you use your other hand