Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

PA speaker replacement

Hi yall-

Maybe im just spinning my wheels here, because I dont often work with PA speakers/systems. However, I recently required a pair of these: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-...336081001070.gc

They are pretty good- probably best suited as stage monitors. But I was curious if it would be possible / if there were any good options for 10-inch speaker replacements that could get some better low end. It looks like the response on these is like 150hz, which is rough. But also, they are only 100 watts, so maybe the headroom isnt there.

It may not be cost effective to replace the speakers as opposed to buying a sub or something, but for the sake of conveinience I figured I would check in and see if there were any options that anybody has had a good experience with. Thanks!

Edit: also, i should add that my budget would be around $200 and i live in Boston area

Quote:
Originally Posted by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabestoner69

Last edited by Watterboy : 01-03-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Watterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Will Lane
ee-elle-atey-for

I think a sub would be more worthwhile and would give a better sound quality. Put a Low-Pass filter on at 150hz and you are set! Although I am not experienced with the PA speaker market so there might be an option there for you.

Last edited by Will Lane : 01-03-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Will Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
the chemist
Resident Session Player

While you can replace the cones, the biggest issue you'll have is the crossover won't be optimized for alternate cones.

The bass frequency ranges that you see on the wedge is not uncommon at all; even high-end JBL and EV longthrows stop at 150 Hz.

I would recommend trying these in it to see if it helps:

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/...w7#.Vom8RvkrJhE
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Maybe im confused- do the speakers receive the information for the frequencies below 150hz but just dont reproduce it, or is the crossover built right into the power amplifier? If its built into the amplifier, then Im guessing new speakers really wouldnt help me much anyways. I was assuming that the speakers just couldnt reproduce the lows

That sub 150hz information seems really important though. If i try playing an electric guitar modellor or a straight acoustic guitar through them, it doesnt sound great. Feels like its lacking responsiveness or something. Its unlike the response i get from my guitar cabs anyways, which it should really be replicating

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by Watterboy : 01-03-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
the chemist
Resident Session Player

It's the midranges themselves.

The one I linked have a response range of 60 to 4,000 Hz, which will easily cover guitar (a guitar in standard goes to ~80Hz)

It wouldn't hurt to take a look at the technical manual that came with it to see what the amplifier/crossover is spec'd to.

Last edited by the chemist : 01-03-2016 at 10:20 PM.
the chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #6
Cajundaddy

The amp, cabinet, and drivers are all designed around 150hz cutoff to keep production costs low. Reproducing clean low frequency costs $$. Changing speakers will not solve your problem. Buy the right tool for the job rather than trying to fix the wrong tool.

See if you can trade 2 of those floor wedges for one of these:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVZLX112P

It's a true full range flat response monitor that sounds marvelous and will reproduce up to 126db (Marshall 100w stack levels). One of these will produce way better music than 2 of the Kustom 210s.

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 01-04-2016 at 12:32 AM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:35 AM   #7
dspellman

I'm not sure how to drop this, but those are really not great PA pieces.
You're not going to be able to get enough out of them to justify putting any more money into them.

Cajundaddy's recommendation is sound -- one of the ELVZL112Ps will be far better than a pair of what you have. Carvin PM15A powered speakers (400W RMS each) are another option; for $299 these have a 15"LF driver and a 1-inch exit 1.5-inch VC Titanium Driver for HF. Same overall output.
http://www.carvinaudio.com/products...monitor-speaker
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Just out of curiousity, are the Mackie Thump 15in active pa speakers any good? They are a little better priced for me and more available. Thanks

Quote:

Quote:

Old 01-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy
Just out of curiousity, are the Mackie Thump 15in active pa speakers any good? They are a little better priced for me and more available. Thanks

No. They're "better priced" for a reason.

Take whatever they claim for wattage, divide by four and THEN compare to the others.
Typical review:

"I purchased these speakers but they weren't all that I expected them to be. First off the looks of these are all good they seem to be rugged, tough, and durable. Secondly the sound of these are just okay to me. At high volumes the lows seem to fade away while the highs are kicking in. This is a no-no for me (I need all of the music power out of these. Although these speakers fade the bass they do have a bit of clarity, just don't turn them up too high or they will start to sound like someone is turning the volume up and down. At a cost of 349.99 each I was expecting a whole lot more bang for the buck but I was dissapointed. Don't take my word for it. Be your own judge......buy them and test them out yourself, you'll see."
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #10
Cajundaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watterboy

Carvin and EV are better. Mackie SRM450 is excellent but the Thump is 1/2 the quality of the others. You do get what you pay for with these. If money is tight, buy used but buy the right tool for the job.

Edit: After looking, Mackie Thump is nearly as much $$ as the EV but just sounds awful in a side by side comparison. Test both with music you like and then decide. Trust your ears.
In your shoes I would sell the 210s quickly and get these. $400/pr is a steal.
Excellent! https://newlondon.craigslist.org/msg/5379096461.html

Last edited by Cajundaddy : 01-04-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Cajundaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #11
Watterboy
UG's 'Yes, Man'

Man- I went to my local guitar center and they had some Mackie Thump 15s, as well as a number of JBLs and EV. I directly compared the Ev zlx 12p to the mackie thump 15. I thought the thump owned it though. The EV sounded very sizzly but the mids and upper mids were very congested and not very clear. It also sounded like the thing would rely on the matched sub because the lows just werent quite full enough. The mackie on the other hand was obviously utilizing a larger speaker, not to mentiom probably flattered the lows some in general- but it was much clearer sounding across the spectrum and the lows were tight and bumping. I turned them both up pretty loud and got a solid representation of their performance. Just thought id share my experience with yall

Quote:

Quote:

Rate This Thread: