Page 2 of 11
I had been saving for a year.

Yeah, the Splawn's got that nice old school Marshall tone and some modern punch. I don't know if it is because it is so dry or what. Tight now. I've heard many people say that the Splawns are not necessarily 100% Marshall mod tone, that they have their own tone. And I agree. Best of both worlds imo.

The only thing that sucks is there is no reverb so I've been tweaking on teh carbon copy.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I had been saving for a year.

Yeah, the Splawn's got that nice old school Marshall tone and some modern punch. I don't know if it is because it is so dry or what. Tight now. I've heard many people say that the Splawns are not necessarily 100% Marshall mod tone, that they have their own tone. And agree. Best of both world imo.

The only thing that sucks is there is no reverb so I've been tweaking on teh carbon copy.

You pretty much cemented my desire for a Splawn. I do wish it had reverb though
I don't mind the lack of reverb, nothing a reverb pedal can't fix, and it would sound even better
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Quote by Khoifish321

In this video you can see the splawns a lot, especially in the beginning. They are nitros I assume?

They aren't "True" Metal, but they have really good tone IMO. I like the band, and met the vocalist at the mall once. Cool guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHRiqSleXo8

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
what do you mean not "true" metal? How is it not "true" metal tone?

If you mean by modern voicing vs. vintage voicing, they are definitely leaned towards the vintage sound. But I still wouldn't call that not "true" metal, seeing how that's how metal tones started out.

I've heard swapping out the tubes for KT88's gives it a more modern voicing, but I haven't tried it yet. I will soon though!
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Quote by Khoifish321
what do you mean not "true" metal? How is it not "true" metal tone?

If you mean by modern voicing vs. vintage voicing, they are definitely leaned towards the vintage sound. But I still wouldn't call that not "true" metal, seeing how that's how metal tones started out.

I've heard swapping out the tubes for KT88's gives it a more modern voicing, but I haven't tried it yet. I will soon though!

No, I don't mean the tone, just their style of music. I love it, but most metal elitists who listen to nothing but Tech Death would just say they suck. I personally have more of an open mind and like them.

I like a little more vintage tone, I prefer it to the fizzy mess that some people seem to like.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Feb 12, 2009,
Splawn has to be the coolest name EVAR!

Can't wait to play teh quickrods on teh saturdayz!
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
ohh I totally misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about the Nitro hahah
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
I was under the impression a nitro had enough gain to remove women from their clothes, what's more metal than that?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Khoifish321
ohh I totally misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about the Nitro hahah

HAHA, heck no. That amp is the shiz's nit!

Quote by Kevin Saale
I was under the impression a nitro had enough gain to remove women from their clothes, what's more metal than that?

It does, everyone totally misunderstood me I FAIL!

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Feb 12, 2009,
these seam so awesome, how long does it take to get one made?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
^well the original lead times used to be 6 weeks if I remember correctly but I know it is more like 3-4 months now and probably won't get any better. What I didn't realize is that Scott Splawn does EVERYTHING himself. He builds the amps, takes the calls, does the marketing, bills, email, everything. He has a guy that comes in several times a week but that guy only does repairs.
yeah, the lead time is 10-15 weeks now...

From what I know, I think he has a few guys working with him, 3-4 guys at MAX though.

You have to realize that his amps are TOP NOTCH, every single solder is as precise as can be, there is so much attention to detail in his amps. They are exceptional quality even for botique amps, and that's saying a lot.

My suggestion is to find one used. You still pay a decent amount, but you have no wait time. I see Nitros go for about $1500, Quickrods for about $1300-$1500, and the single channel ones for a bit less.

and for ~$2100 for this type of amp? and customized? It's the best deal on the market if you can handle the wait time.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Quote by Khoifish321

From what I know, I think he has a few guys working with him, 3-4 guys at MAX though.

yeah, I heard that too but I also heard that those extra few people are just friends lending a helping hand and are not actually on the payroll.

Yes, they are extremely well made. Someday I'm going to open the chassis. I would never post gut shots on-line though as Scott has asked people not to do that.

Yes, compared to other amps they are a tremendous value imo.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Enough gain to remove the clothes AND skin
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
Enough gain to remove the clothes AND skin

I like my women with skin thank you.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
I like my women with skin thank you.
Then stick with the 50 watt'rs.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Skin is overrated.

100watts all the way. The KT88's are probably closer to 150watts fyi. Keep in mind thats RMS, cranked on the drive channel, maybe about 200+watts.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
cool thread man, nice work. Scott is good people, great customer support, really stands behind his products. I'm thinking of ordering a Super Comp this summer. Really interested to hear what the added mode switching does to the Nitro's lead channel.

I know Scott doesn't want people posting gut shots, but this is a pretty small pic. It gives you an idea though, everything chassis mounted, quality parts, clean layout, etc.

*image removed*
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks Eric!

Again, I appreciate all your help. I'll get all your clips collected as well. I forgot Derek bought your Nitro

Small world. Yeah, I was shocked when Scott got back to me so quickly. Now that I fully understand how busy he is I wouldn't have bothered him in hindsight.

^PS - I sent the link to this thread to VomHalen (Jimmy) last night because he wanted to see it once I got it up so I'm sure he'll see your post
Quote by Bostonrocks
I'm not offended but I do like his mission statment, it's part of the reason is CS is so amazing imo.

but my question, Competition quickrod or nitro? I really really like the in your face umph and grind of the nitro but I want great plexi sounds to which one is for me?

I am assuming you have seen the video of Scott and another guy dueling. I believe Scott is on the Nitro. If you close your eyes it is pretty hard to tell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnrYMBNdk1o
That clip is awesome, such clarity! I'm sold on the nitro. Why did I get such a nice car, I could have gotten a nitro instead

Just noticed his mission statement, personally I think that is cool, now it makes since that Inhale Exhale uses their amps since they are a christian metal band.

JESUS, PLEASE GIVE ME 2 GRAND!!!!!!!!

/religious rant

EDIT: Also in the comments of that youtube vid, one of the splawn dealers said that Joel and Adam D from Killswitch Engage both bought Nitros. *boner*

EDIT 2: Apparently KSE is using them live. There are pics on the splawn forums. If they start using them expect a lot of bands too. Especially if Adam D starts using them in his studio because he produces soooooo many of the bigger metal bands these days.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Feb 13, 2009,
Kse use them live but they are hidden behind mesa boogies because of their heavy endorsement with them
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Quote by Khoifish321
Kse use them live but they are hidden behind mesa boogies because of their heavy endorsement with them

Cool. I wonder if they are using them on the new album they are recording?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
the mission statement impresses me, if i ever decide i want to play hard rock music i will buy one of this mans amps.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
the mission statement impresses me, if i ever decide i want to play hard rock music i will buy one of this mans amps.

check out the Superstock. He doesn't only made high gain killing machines
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Isn't it awesome chea!

but yeah quickrod or comptetition is for me.

coming soon splawn competition! hopefully no more than 6 months
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
If only I could afford one....
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
^Brett and Chea - yeah, I'm not super religious or anything but the more I learned about Scott and his amps the more I wanted one. Like I said, it just all came together and everything just kinda lined up. You know?

I'll be getting some more reviews and clips up in the next week or so. I'll make sure I add all the clips and such that people have contributed. I just realized mhenson has a Nitro so if you see this please feel free to provide a contribution. Someone else on here has a Qrod or Nitro but I can't think of who it is.
Quote by Butters8754
If only I could afford one....

+1
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
I saved for a whole year. Basically started saving when I got to UG.

At the top of each forum at the splawn forums is the Splawn Convention thread. Man, that looks like a hella time. Don't know if I'll make it in '09 but I would like to go some year. A lot of the great clips with Scott are from these events.
man what I would do for a Splawn
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
In Transit - On Time
Scheduled Delivery: 02/16/2009
Shipped To: REDINGTON BEACH, FL, US
Shipped/Billed On: 02/11/2009
Service: GROUND

ugggh why can't UPS deliver on weekends
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
311 your NAD was classic
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I'm going to be NADing with a new thread, pics, and a video!

and of course post it in here
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
yeah 311s NAD was pretty epic.

yeah Scott seems like a great guy I should give him a call someday and talk amps with him see what he recommends.

I want a splawn really really bad haha
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Erock503
cool thread man, nice work. Scott is good people, great customer support, really stands behind his products. I'm thinking of ordering a Super Comp this summer. Really interested to hear what the added mode switching does to the Nitro's lead channel.

I know Scott doesn't want people posting gut shots, but this is a pretty small pic. It gives you an idea though, everything chassis mounted, quality parts, clean layout, etc.

It's so CLEAN