OK so over the pass 2 weeks i've been through get this... 4 packets of 11-50's.
I string they properly they wrap around alot of times.. it always breaks at the headstock!!!!!!!!!!!

This is soooooooooooooo annoying, and over in Australia strings cost $18 a packet were i am.

What is going on!?!?!

EDIT: this is so annoying it makes me want to quit guitar.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Feb 12, 2009,
You may need a new nut.
or you may just need to lubricate every place on the guitar that the string has to touch.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
if its always breaking in the same spot, then its likely that there is something wrong with that specific area. but where exactly is it breaking? at the nut? at the tuning peg? inbetween perhaps at the string tree if you have one?

is it the wound strings or the plain steel?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Wound strings, breaking at the tuning peg.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Wound strings, breaking at the tuning peg.

ok, where there's the possibility that there is a pretty sharp spot somewhere in the hole of the tuning peg where the string has to go thru. or perhaps your technique for stringing it up isn't very friendly for your strings.

it should be nice a clean looking like this. I (quite specifically) only go with 2 winds around the pegs as opposed to the 3 which is pictured here. it seems to help my tuning stability as opposed to having a bunch of winds around the peg. But really, just go with what works best..

what kinda guitar do you have by the way?
Quote by joe_k
have you recently gone up in the guage of guitar strings you use. might need to get it set up if you have.

I got the guitar setup with 9-46's and i use 11-50's now.
That's what all mine look like ^
I have a Jackson JS1 Dinky.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
It's a conspiracy by the string manufacturer.

Make sure the string wraps around the tuning peg plenty of times.
And what joe_k said
The Walking Dead
Have you considered that there's a burr on your tuning peg?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
hm, well it seems that the JS1 isn't exactly a quality guitar, so there's a possibility that the tuning pegs might be a lemon. did you ever have a problem with the lighter gauge strings breaking? or is it something that specifically happens with the 11's?
Quote by Kivarenn82
hm, well it seems that the JS1 isn't exactly a quality guitar, so there's a possibility that the tuning pegs might be a lemon. did you ever have a problem with the lighter gauge strings breaking? or is it something that specifically happens with the 11's?

It's an all round problem, any gauge..same break.
I was tuning down also.

I string my friends guitar and his never break.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Last edited by bucketmark at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by bucketmark
It's an all round problem, any gauge..same break.
I was tuning down also.

okie, my best guess is the tuning peg then. if there's no string on there now, try to feel around with your finger and see if there's any sharp spots on there, if so.. that is definitely the problem.

a new set of tuning pegs .. well since your in australia will probably run you.. $60?? (they're only about $20 for half decent ones here in canada)

And, you should ask your shop if you haven't already if they sell individual strings. every shop i've ever been to sell single strings in MOST gauges so this will end up saving you a lot of money instead of having to buy whole packs at a time.
I don't wanna really spend money on this guitar, i was gunna get a new amp, now im thinking of a new guitar and a nice valve distortion pedal.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Thats probably the way to go. for a guitar that only seems to cost $199 USD on musicians friend, it'd be silly to install tuning pegs on it that almost amount to 30% of its cost.

if you're really set on the new amp, you could try finding that sharp spot and filing it down with a REALLY fine needle file to get rid of it. it'd be a quick and easy enough fix to do.. probably something like 2 or 3 light strokes would be enough..
Quote by Kivarenn82
Thats probably the way to go. for a guitar that only seems to cost $199 USD on musicians friend, it'd be silly to install tuning pegs on it that almost amount to 30% of its cost.

if you're really set on the new amp, you could try finding that sharp spot and filing it down with a REALLY fine needle file to get rid of it. it'd be a quick and easy enough fix to do.. probably something like 2 or 3 light strokes would be enough..

Guitar set me back $360 haha, I'd rather new guitar then buying pegs and getting it setup which would cost me over $150..
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
where abouts do youy buy your stuff from. if you are anywhere near stanmore there is a store called music city which is great imo and the staff are really helpful. you can take it to them and they might be able to help ya.
Wind the string around the peg and put it into the tuning peg for a single turn