Are the combos good? I can't do any upgrades or speaker changes to them because of a lack of money.

I currently have a Peavey Vypyr 30 but I was thinking of returning it and getting an epiphone Valve Junior for $300 and a Digitech bad monkey ($110). I don't find the effects/stompboxes on the vypyr very handy at all, I only use the JSX or Classic amp models and the 30 watts is really too loud when the amp is 1 metre away from me.

Would this be a good upgrade/side step. I havn't had the vypyr for 30 days so i presume I will get a full refund but I will email the store I bought it from anyway.

Should I do it if I can? Is there another cheap OD pedal you can recomend then tell me, prefferably boss/digitech because Australia is very limited in terms of guitars and stuff.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Though a lot of people seem to like the VJ, I found it to be awful personally. I'd strongly suggest trying it before you buy it. What kind of music do you play?
I have come across a problem. The Epiphone VJ is now $360 at the only store that has it. There however is a Legacy ValveED5. It looks exactly the same as the Epiphone VJ but it has a different name on the front.

I play songs I like, no genre specifically but I like AC/DC, Metallica. GnR sort of tones.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by random_B-RAD at Feb 12, 2009,
personally.. for the stuff that you're playing, i'm unsure the EVJ would be that good for you.

i personally love that amp (in ministack form) and it sounds good even with mediocre distortion pedals. but with a bad monkey and just the natural drive of the amp.. its hard to say that it'll be able to do things like metallica or GnR.

Also, the 5 watt guy can still get pretty loud. probably the same as the 30 watt vypyr. but the vypyr might sound a bit better considering it likely has a larger speaker.

it is a 10" speaker?
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
So should I look at getting the Legacy ValveED5 + Bad Monkey or not?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
get a used bad monkey..just offering advice..
see if you can get one cheaper
also, tried the VJ with some gainwith a ts9dx.
you cant really push it to metallica.. maybe ac/dc but definately not much higher.
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
What is another good sounding amp that takes pedals well. I really hate my vypyr, just not suited for me.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
I've looked at Valbees before but unless I buy online which I can't get I can't get one.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
The stock Vjr is a bit limited with the single volume control. Turned up no cleans, turned down for cleans no volume. I like mine alot but its been modded to be more versatile. I was looking at the Vjr prices you quoted thinking they were way to high then saw your in AUS.
crates take pedals well for solidstate amps. If your interested in pedals then do not get a line 6 spider 3. They are probably the worst amp for pedals. Tube amps will handle pedals better and sound better than any ss+pedal distortion. Randall g3 is a tube/ss hybrid and it takes pedals well.
Quote by random_B-RAD
So should I look at getting the Legacy ValveED5 + Bad Monkey or not?

Yes, it's just a "re-badged Epi" iirc. Try it with the bad monkey and see what you think. I didn't realize in your other thread that you could return the vypyr for full retail amount. (That would have been helpful info).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have both a Vypyr 15 (upgraded to 10" speaker) and a Vjr Combo. The VJr doesn't really have any character and the 8" speaker sounds... well like an 8" speaker. I'd rather have a Vypyr 30 over the Vjr Combo. And I like my Vypyr 15 better as well.

It wasn't until recently when I put a Line-6 AM4 and Magicstomp in front of the Vjr that I finally got some tones out it that I like. I don't think a Bad Monkey alone is going to do the trick. Stay with the Vypyr and pick up the Sampera pedal.
I agree with the statement the Vj is somewhat limited on it's own however thats about where it ends. The Vj is well worth getting into provided your willing to dive into pedals with both feet (I recommend a good EQ 1st). With pedals it's capable of just about any tone. You can pick up the cleans wiith a good volume boost. Also a tube change makes a huge difference. I just retubed my head last night and was very happy with the results. A 5751 will produce a better clean tone. I personally prefer the tungsol 12ax7 with the boost so the 5751 went into drawer and that will be the end of that. I'm not a fan of bad monkeys or TS 808's for that matter, but a Fulltone OCD sounds great and I've added a few boutique pedals that are outstanding with the Vj. I have the V3 in both Head/cab and combo and like both of them. Haven't changed out the combo tubes yet, but I would expect about the same results. The thing with something like the Vj is you don't get stuck with the cheap preamps of the modelers and you can pick and choose what you add when you want to add it and the quality of what you want to add.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Finally got around to setting up my GNX4 with my Epiphone Vjr head and 12" cab. Sounds pretty good. The head with separate cab has much better sound than the combo. ITOH the combo could double as a combo and head is you bought a separate cab and wired up a jack.
Quote by fly135
Finally got around to setting up my GNX4 with my Epiphone Vjr head and 12" cab. Sounds pretty good. The head with separate cab has much better sound than the combo. ITOH the combo could double as a combo and head is you bought a separate cab and wired up a jack.

Hey fly. For your next trick pull the electro-harmonix 12ax7 and put in a tung sol. I couldn't believe the difference. Also if you can spring for a higher end OD/Distortion of your choice and run it in front of your GNX. Just turn off the distortion on the GNX. Doing that with my POD and just using the other FX was like a rolls royce upgrade.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I've actually got some decent distortion tones on the GNX4. It just takes a lot of dialing in the EQ and cabinet settings. Here's the list of distortion pedals I have either on my pedal board or in my drawer...

Russian Big Muff
English Muff'n
Jekyll and Hyde
Proco Rat
Digitech Tonedriver
DOD FX100
MXR Distortion+
DOD Flashback Fuzz
Nady TD-1

I'll have to try the tube thing.
a boss sd-1 super overdrive pedal is really cheap and very good. even pros use it like jimmy page and jonny greenwood from radiohead.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
Other options are

The Legacy Valve PLUS - which is basically a rebadged epi VJ with a 3 band EQ and built in DSP effects (flanger, delay, chorus, reverb)
https://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/index.cfm?action=view&id=2316

but you'll still need pedals to get to the heavier tones you're looking for.

Other options are to save a little more and get a Blackheart Little Giant which is a better choice and will get closer to the sound you want or Blackstar HT5 which is the best choice and will nail the tones you play and much much much more.
about the 1:40 in this get pretty good if you can solder the mods are so easy and even tube changes make a huge difference. speaker change's make all the difference in the world try to find a speaker that got alot of low end to them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRw4qvRqGLA
one more these are fun little amps to play with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUdFCUKxeU&feature=related
and even though it's really not a vj anymore this is just damn cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxOC9uo3sxI&feature=related
but on it's own and stock NOT so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIeWngTGUng&feature=related
Last edited by mmjohn at Feb 14, 2009,
Quote by mmjohn
but on it's own and stock NOT so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIeWngTGUng&feature=related
I like what this guy said about the stock Vjr "Tone in search of an identity". I bought my head before the cab was released. I bought a closed back cab and put a 12" Wharfedale speaker in it. With pedals you can do a lot, but alone it's not inspiring especially with single coil pups.
Ive got a combo and love it, although i dont run it through the 8" stock speaker any more, i made an extention cabinet for it, 12" bugera 50W speaker, it sounds so much better. well worth it. And these babies are LOUD, especially if you run a pedal before it. Although ive modded the shizzle out of mine, and out of the Boss SD1 i was using, so i guess maybe not so stock... ive had books fall off the shelves when i cranked it up, (he he he...) and the new cab makes all the difference at high volumes, the old 8" struggled a touch post mod...
I guess reading my last post it pretty much sums up the VJ.
Not a whole lot of excitement stock...
but put a few £ in it and a few hours work..
and its serious bang for the bucks.

After a bright switch/gain boost switch and another gain boost/tone control,
+home made L-pad attenuator (well worth doing, send the schematic if anyone is interested),
+new cab,
next up is some tube changes.

Any suggestions?
Quote by tim210

Any suggestions?

Don't hijack threads?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Don't hijack threads?

you = total douche

i remember why i cant be arsed with this kinda crap.
Cos it basically gets you nowhere, and you encounter possibly the biggest load of snobbish arsebandits on the internet.
Quote by tim210
you = total douche

i remember why i cant be arsed with this kinda crap.
Cos it basically gets you nowhere, and you encounter possibly the biggest load of snobbish arsebandits on the internet.

Pretty much your a total giant douche. You hijack a thread and complain when your told not to hijack threads. Go have a nap or something because no one wants you here.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
IMO one of the best things you can do with a vj is put a 12at7 in the pre amp slot. the 12ax7 just has to much gain without enuff power tube saturation. and the 5751 is kinda buzzy. with the 12at7 you lose a little volume but almost double your clean headroom it's not vox ac30 but eq'd and some verb sounds pretty damn good. and even though your losing some volume your power tube is working harder at a lower volume which is what you need............more bottom end!! use an od pedal to get back the gain you lost and you get a much thicker and richer tone at a lower volume. add a clean boost and all out overdrive at bedroom levels. and the added bonus of way less amp hiss!

http://thetubestore.com/gainfactor.html
Last edited by mmjohn at Feb 16, 2009,
i can honestly say ive never heard a valve junior that i liked. i would stick with the vyper.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i can honestly say ive never heard a valve junior that i liked. i would stick with the vyper.

sure if your buyin cheap the vyper is a better choice.