Hey, I have a copy of rock discipline and I have been watching it (I've actually laughed at a few parts Petrucci is hillarious...) and was wondering what exercises from the video helped you the most?

What are some other videos I should acquire in order to get my playing up to the level of guys like Petrucci, Gilbert, and all the way up too Rusty Cooley?
For me none.

The only exercise video's that TRULY helped me in my playing are Marty Friedman's melodic control (that one was such an eyeopener, and helps everyone no matter what style you play).

And some part's of Eric Johnson's "art of the guitar".

They have stuff which could be hard too figure out on urself, or would simply take alot of wasted time.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
For me none.

The only exercise video's that TRULY helped me in my playing are Marty Friedman's melodic control (that one was such an eyeopener, and helps everyone no matter what style you play).

Awesome, I shall check those videos out! Thank you.
Quote by pepsi_lovr
Awesome, I shall check those videos out! Thank you.

Np

Think about it, you have these shredders like Petrucci, Vai, Rusty, Lane, Gilbert etc. whoo all come from different places, and who all had different teacher's, yet they can all play on a speed that everyone wants;

Now, do you really think there's a universal way to get fast? Try the exercises urself and see what works for YOU.

Petrucci even says it in his video about inside picking; "some people have big trouble with this, while others can do it like it's nothing. (petrucci makes a funny joke about how they should get shot).

Point being everyone has different problems. Some people can play slow stuff with very good dynamics, but can't play sweeps. Other people can play sweeps, but can't bend in tune properly.

I myself have a good vibrato in my ring finger, but my index tends too lack sometimes which really reflects my playing bad, so I work on that.

You need too figure out what you wanna play, and see where you have problems with, then do all the exercises that people recommend for that technique development, and see which proves to give the best results.

Best way too find out is to post a vid of ur playing without backing, and then we can say what you could improve, because with so many notes flying around, one often oversees tiny details. There's a topic in AT (this forum) where you can link ur video's too let other people analyse ur playing. Basically free guitar teacher

Tl;Tr (my point is in the last 2 paragraphs)

1 big ass rant

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 12, 2009,
Well actually, all the exercises from Rock Discipline have helped me in some way. I found with it I added speed and fluidity to my playing that wasn't there before. I also suggest you should check out Intense Rock (There's two) from Paul Gilbert, they're both also very good.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by xxdarrenxx
For me none.

They have stuff which could be hard too figure out on urself, or would simply take alot of wasted time.

Second that
Jackson Pro Series DK2M Dinky
Ibanez GRG 270
Ibanez Tone Blaster 25R
Zoom G2
DigiTech Rp50
No videos will ever get you to the level of those players. What will is a particularly perfectionist attitude to technique and lots of quality practice. Check out the sticky or links in my sig for info.
Use the DVDs as a way to find new exercises and ways to approach different aspects of the guitar. Practice, like Freepower said, is the important thing. I have Rock Discipline, I dont like the picking exercises, but the ones in speed mechanics for lead guitar are great. RD has some good stuff on legato and alternate picking arpeggios though, and some great warmups.
Watch Scott Henderson's Melodic Phrasing. A lot of people who aspire to get as good as the aforementioned guys forget the one thing that truly sets them apart: phrasing.