okay guys try to figure out this one

you need to find a 6 digit number that ends in 1 and, when divided by 3, is the exact same combination, but the 1 is at the start of the answer

For example: 654 321, the answer needs to be 165 432

if you get it, post how you got it aswell

good luck : D
I don't know what to put in my sig...

How about my gear: -
o Epiphone Les Paul 100
o VOX DA5

how bout a quote?

Originally Posted by *someone*
*something funny or reffering to me*

I cum bloo... Ra-... Uh, Uh... *panics*
At the end of the day...
Prepare to kill
everyone.
I got 428571

Look at the smaller number; the number with 1 at the front. When multiplied by 3, theres a 1 at the end, so the last digit of the smaller number must be 7 (3 x 7 = 21).

Using that logic, you can find the rest. For the next digit, we know that when its multiplied by 3 AND THEN 2 is added to it (because 3 x 7 = 21, and you carry the 2), it equals 7. 7 - 2 = 5, and 3 x 5 = 15. So the next digit is 5.

Not sure if thats the most clear explanation, but it works. If this is homework, youre lucky im bored. Either way, i wish i wasnt bored
(10x + 1) / 3 = 100000 + x

10x + 1 = 300000 + 3x

7x = 299999
x = 42857

Answer: 428571

Goddamnit... First I tried to calculate it for like 30 minutes a really hard way, but then I realized how easy it was..
Quote by ajaxender12
I got 428571

Look at the smaller number; the number with 1 at the front. When multiplied by 3, theres a 1 at the end, so the last digit of the smaller number must be 7 (3 x 7 = 21).

Using that logic, you can find the rest. For the next digit, we know that when its multiplied by 3 AND THEN 2 is added to it (because 3 x 7 = 21, and you carry the 2), it equals 7. 7 - 2 = 5, and 3 x 5 = 15. So the next digit is 5.

Not sure if thats the most clear explanation, but it works. If this is homework, youre lucky im bored. Either way, i wish i wasnt bored

uhhh, thanks, but can you explain it a little bit better please, i dont understand and i need to have the way to do it aswell :P

o Epiphone Les Paul 100
o VOX DA5

how bout a quote?

over 9000
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by jtmaximum
uhhh, thanks, but can you explain it a little bit better please, i dont understand and i need to have the way to do it aswell :P

If this is for your homework for maths, I suggest you taking my method. It's more "algebraic" and his is more like solved with logic, not algebra.

Of course his way to solve it is just as good, but it's hard to express mathematically. Sorry for bad English
Quote by Flibo
If this is for your homework for maths, I suggest you taking my method. It's more "algebraic" and his is more like solved with logic, not algebra.

Of course his way to solve it is just as good, but it's hard to express mathematically. Sorry for bad English

yeah, yours is good, but this is a logic question though, sorry :P

EDIT: do you understand his method? if so, can you reword it please, i dont really understand it

o Epiphone Les Paul 100
o VOX DA5

how bout a quote?

Last edited by jtmaximum at Feb 12, 2009,