I play a PRS SE Custom, and picked it up this morning to have a strum. BUT, i found this:

It looks like the finish on the stoptail has worn off, but i didn't notice this yesterday and i played for a while! What has caused this? What can be done to fix it?

Thanks
Last edited by Hypnotisation at Feb 12, 2009,
I think the logical explanation here is that a ghost came in the middle of the night and scraped it with a chisel.

Sweat from your palm maybe? If you have to fix it, you can easily buy a replacement one, it'll be much less hassle. Try your local guitar shop or if that fails look online.
RULE BRITANNIA
man just leave it, its weird it happened to my ibanez its hardly noticeable
^^ It seems like it, i swear it wasn't there yesterday. Know any good replacement part sites? This is gunna bug the hell out of me.
I heard that it'll return to normal if you put some man-seeds on it

<.<

>.>

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
if it annoys you, replace it.

If it doesn't / only annoys you very slighty, leave it be, I don't think it can do any harm atm.

...btw, how's the SE? nice guitar? ;D
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
It'll nag at me for ages, so i reckon ill replace it.

It's a brilliant guitar, got the perfect neck for me (quite fat) and it's versatile. I love the bridge p-up in particular. Great all round!
Quote by numinis

<.<

>.>

This
I might...just...try it.

Hell, i could just buy some silver paint....no. I wouldn't do that to my beloved axe.
Quote by Hypnotisation
I might...just...try it.

we all know you want to, hell, i'd even come over there and do it for you!

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
A couple of my guitars have done that. Even the really expensive ones. I've just decided to accept it as something that happens. Knobs and bridges just lose their finish.
First clean your guitar after playing, even if it's just a wipe with a clean cloth! You obviously have an acidic sweat which means your strings probably die sooner too (so wipe them each time as well). The SE being a entry level PRS probably doesn't have a heavy nickle coating on the tailpiece. So it wore quickly or reacted to something in your sweat. Even if you replace it (use a genuine PRS SE part for this for intonation purposes) it'll happen again.
Moving on.....
warmoth or allparts.com, they usually have the best prices that I have found and the widest selection, good luck and if it bugs you, wear a sweat band like James "I'M ON FIRE!!" Hatfield.
"Love doesn't exist and I'm not picking on love, because I don't think friendship exists either"

GEAR:
Caparison PLM-3
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Gretch A/E G3700
Soldano SLO 50w clone
Quote by KenG
First clean your guitar after playing, even if it's just a wipe with a clean cloth! You obviously have an acidic sweat which means your strings probably die sooner too (so wipe them each time as well). The SE being a entry level PRS probably doesn't have a heavy nickle coating on the tailpiece. So it wore quickly or reacted to something in your sweat. Even if you replace it (use a genuine PRS SE part for this for intonation purposes) it'll happen again.

Well it's a lesson learnt, since i'm going to have to fork out £30 or so for a replacement locking stud-thing (curse perfectionism!). In all fairness i probably do sweat quite a bit when playing, so it's reasonable.

I try and be extra careful when handling guitars, then it turns out something i can't help ruins them instead!
i personally would leave it, but if you want replace it. it probably happened due to sweat.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by numinis

<.<

>.>

Awesome.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.
lol dude..every guitar i won has an imperfection...truth be told, i dont intend on selling them, so i like..scratch it anyway..just saves me getting upset if i do it accidentally.
just leave it :S
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=