attention: bad english

tell me if that is correct pls! when we say "change the key if its too high of a range for you voice"

lets take a simple example Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop .. the chord progression is A D E again and again .. so if that is too high for my voice i ll take it G C D ?? is this what we called a whole step down? and ofcourse when is too low for my voice i can take it higher and it will be B E F# .. how do i know whats best for my voice .. i just sing and see where i sing it more comfy and not really pushing my self?

sorry for the lame question and for my bad english!

thanks.
G C D is a whole step down from A D E, but usually when you transpose for vocals you do it by half-steps. So go Ab Db Eb, it might just be easier to tune your guitar down half a step.
i understood the english perfectly

everyone has a slightly different vocal range. find the highest and lowest note you can sing, if the vocal line goes above or below that then it is too high for your voice.

if you can reach the highest and lowest note comfortably then there's no NEED to change it, but it still might be EASIER if you do. sing it where it is most comfortable for you, then shout at the guitarist until he agrees to put a capo on :p
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by pwrmax
G C D is a whole step down from A D E, but usually when you transpose for vocals you do it by half-steps. So go Ab Db Eb, it might just be easier to tune your guitar down half a step.

oh yeah i got the one about "half steps" but i didnt understand the last thing you said .. "it might be just easier to tune your guitar down half a step" what do you mean by "tune" (my crappy english u know) the only thing we do is that we just change the chords of the song? what is so hard to go a half step down or 3 steps up?? is there something i didn't get right? thats the job of the guitarist/bassist to learn the new chords right??
Quote by doive
i understood the english perfectly

everyone has a slightly different vocal range. find the highest and lowest note you can sing, if the vocal line goes above or below that then it is too high for your voice.

if you can reach the highest and lowest note comfortably then there's no NEED to change it, but it still might be EASIER if you do. sing it where it is most comfortable for you, then shout at the guitarist until he agrees to put a capo on :p

capo is that metal thing we put on guitar right? and i will still playing the same chords but i will be playing the song in a higher step (half step)? dont know how it works exactly but it sounds pretty cool thing
Quote by goldfinger69
oh yeah i got the one about "half steps" but i didnt understand the last thing you said .. "it might be just easier to tune your guitar down half a step" what do you mean by "tune" (my crappy english u know) the only thing we do is that we just change the chords of the song? what is so hard to go a half step down or 3 steps up?? is there something i didn't get right? thats the job of the guitarist/bassist to learn the new chords right??

If you have a good guitarist, he should know how to transpose between keys.

If you tell him that the notes are too high, he should be able to transpose it down a half step oR whole step for you.

He should also know what it means to "tune down 1/2 step". That basically just means that instead of tuning his (open) strings to E-A-D-G-B-E, he tune them to Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb.

If he doesn't know how, then it's up to him to learn. And hopefully he'll be willing to work with you.

And - to play open chords a half step or whole step lower, you would have to tune the strings down accordingly.

The capo is the "metal thing" that you clamp on the strings to hold them all down. What this does is allow you to play open chords in any position on the neck. Which is much easier to do sometimes instead of using complicated barre chords.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by Guitartist
If you have a good guitarist, he should know how to transpose between keys.

If you tell him that the notes are too high, he should be able to transpose it down a half step oR whole step for you.

He should also know what it means to "tune down 1/2 step". That basically just means that instead of tuning his (open) strings to E-A-D-G-B-E, he tune them to Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb.

If he doesn't know how, then it's up to him to learn. And hopefully he'll be willing to work with you.

And - to play open chords a half step or whole step lower, you would have to tune the strings down accordingly.

The capo is the "metal thing" that you clamp on the strings to hold them all down. What this does is allow you to play open chords in any position on the neck. Which is much easier to do sometimes instead of using complicated barre chords.

Btw i m the guitarist/singer/bassist/drummer :P i m self taught in everything thats why i got no idea about music theory .. i didnt know that you could tune the guitar like this .. whats the point to do that thing when you can just play the song a half step down? i mean you are having a live show and this specific song is too high .. i mean theres no time to tune the guitar right? u just play the song a half step down ..

i alway play barre chords .. i dont even remember the normal chords .. and from what i know i dont have any problems with barre chords .. so do i still need a capo ?? i thought you can play a higher/lower steps with capo .. is it there just to help you play barre chords ??

btw i would love if you can to check some of my songs .. and if you understand to tell me whats type is my voice .. tenor/baritone/alto ..

thanks

www.myspace.com/thebrokenheart5

is in Greek but i dont think there will be any problem .. except that i sing like **** hehe ;P
wow, that is impressive that you play all the instruments and write those songs by yourself! good job!
Quote by mikeman
wow, that is impressive that you play all the instruments and write those songs by yourself! good job!

i m sure that many people in here can do the same thing ... but thanks for your good words and thanks for listening
I have a related question... Say you had a song in standard open tuning and it was too low for your voice range, could you just start trying to play it with the SAME CHORDS just putting a capo on 1 then maybe 2 or 3 to make it match your higher voice range? Or would you have to change the chords, transpose or something? My gut tells me that you don't, but I've always been semi unclear about this issue. Thanks.