hi, i need to file nut slots in my new nut for an acoustic acoustic guitar, but nut files specifically for guitar seem very expensive. Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK where i can get some cheap files, small enough for filing all the slots in the nut?

Thanks
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

ahh good idea, i'll have a look, thanks
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

I'm not really sure whether the first two would since they don't give the dimensions of the files, only the length of them :/ That second set looks good but i'd like to go for something in the UK if possible, and also a bit cheaper. Thanks for taking the time to have a look though.

Any other help is much appreciated.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

just buy a pre slotted nut and sand the bottom til it fits where you need it.

no shame in that.
Thank you please.
Stop by your local machine shop and ask what they think. Tell them you need to cut slots that are between 10 and 45 (or whatever gauge strings you use) thousandths of an inch, and they'll be able to tell you if there's a widely available tool for it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
cheers guys, sanding the bottom of the nut sounds like pretty easy alternative. Thanks
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

you can buy a set of small files from homebase for a couple of quid.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Thanks, that's great, i'll take a look
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22

You can just use guitar strings if you'r feeling extra cheap. Just pull the right size string for each slot back and forth; it'll wear a groove in the nut.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
You can just use guitar strings if you'r feeling extra cheap. Just pull the right size string for each slot back and forth; it'll wear a groove in the nut.

Yeah but it takes bloody ages - and its impossible on the unwound strings.

you could try just cutting in with a narrow saw and then stringing up, but dont tune quite to concert pitch.

Then wrap some wet and dry paper under the string and pass it thru the slot - or you could stick bits of string along a lollipop stick, and then wrap some (very thin)wet and dry paper around that.

Or get some feeler gauges for the right sizes and cut little notches out of them to make them into a little saw

OR, for £20 (you cover the postage as well) I can hire you my stewmac saw gauge .10 and nut slotting gauge and my nut files - it would have to be thru paypal or something so were covered, but I'm happy to let you have them for a couple of weeks so you have plenty of time to get it all done.
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
thanks for the post, only just saw it. I think i'm gonna give the feeler gauges with the notches a go. Thanks for the offer of borrowing your files though, very kind offer. thanks for all those ideas
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22