I'm getting ready to get an EQ pedal, but not sure which one. I'm leaning towards the MXR 10 band, but does anyone really need that much control or is 7 band ok?

Also what is the point of having separate input gain and output volume controls on the EQ? Thanks
I'd get the 10-band. It just adds that much more versatility to your sound. The advantage to having the gain and volume onboard is you can use it to boost these parameters without tweaking your amp. This is the best EQ pedal out there imo.
Quote by eyebanez333
I'd get the 10-band. It just adds that much more versatility to your sound. The advantage to having the gain and volume onboard is you can use it to boost these parameters without tweaking your amp. This is the best EQ pedal out there imo.

This.

The volume and gain are nice for boosts really for solo's and such
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you can afford it, get it.
If you cant afford it, look @ the Danelectro Fish-n-Chips.
Quote by 667
If you can afford it, get it.
If you cant afford it, look @ the Danelectro Fish-n-Chips.

ALSO, This.

The mxr is awesome, but also expensive.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I'll most likely run it on all the time so the pre and post levels aren't as important to me as they would be to some. Has anyone tried the Biyang pedals? They are supposedly true bypass, a lot cheaper than MXR and are getting great reviews.
Boss makes a Ge-7 eq but it is not that great. You can get some good tones out of it but with that pedal it is either muddy or dense in tone. I have heard nothing but good things about the MXR 10 band, eventually I will own one. Eqs can act as a boost with the high out put cranked and all the other knobs neutral.
\\-,-// Favorite Bands \\-,-//
Chimaira, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Pradda, Poison the Well, COB, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Parkway Drive, Pantera, Metallica, Exodus, Necrophagia, Testament, Unearth
Quote by hunter33
I'll most likely run it on all the time so the pre and post levels aren't as important to me as they would be to some. Has anyone tried the Biyang pedals? They are supposedly true bypass, a lot cheaper than MXR and are getting great reviews.

I have the Biyang flanger...and I was really impressed with the sound and quality of it. Haven't tried any of their other stuff though.
As you can see from my sig, I have 2 Biyang pedals.
I have to say I think they're frikkin' brilliant! (Especially for not being all that expensive).

Edit: If you really don't need the MXR 10-Band EQ (which I also use and must say it's the one pedal I own which I would DEFINITELY replace if lost/stolen/broken)... then go for the MXR 6-Band over the Boss GE-7.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 12, 2009,
I was thinkin about getting the MXR eq 10. I almost always play clean and all the demos of this pedal on youtube are distorted and teh br00t4ls. Can this pedal dial in some nice cleans?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
I was thinkin about getting the MXR eq 10. I almost always play clean and all the demos of this pedal on youtube are distorted and teh br00t4ls. Can this pedal dial in some nice cleans?
Damn right it can.

Best way to use it is to dial in as good a tone as you can on your amp(clean) and then fine tune it with your EQ.
If you were to use a boost/OD/dist pedal then that would just go on top of your previously constructed EQ.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
Damn right it can.

Best way to use it is to dial in as good a tone as you can on your amp(clean) and then fine tune it with your EQ.
If you were to use a boost/OD/dist pedal then that would just go on top of your previously constructed EQ.

Agreed.
Quote by ChrisN
If you really don't need the MXR 10-Band EQ (which I also use and must say it's the one pedal I own which I would DEFINITELY replace if lost/stolen/broken)... then go for the MXR 6-Band over the Boss GE-7.

I agree
\\-,-// Favorite Bands \\-,-//
Chimaira, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Norma Jean, The Devil Wears Pradda, Poison the Well, COB, As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Parkway Drive, Pantera, Metallica, Exodus, Necrophagia, Testament, Unearth
Quote by eyebanez333

+1

Love mine.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion