Okay, I'm an almost 16-year old guitarist that lives in a pretty small town. I've been trying to form a band for almost a year now, and I've gotten halfway twice. It normally stops at the search for a drummer/bassist, but now, we're talking to a pair that come together (they sound like dolls, don't they ). Problem is, my singer is a girl, and they want to do metalcore (AFAIK)

Obviously, we're still going to go and jam with them, to see if anything comes out, but i'm not too optimistic.

My other options include:

1) Waiting until college to try again.
2) Myspace-based solo project, even though I don't like singing, and I want to play classic/blues -rock so solo is tricky
3) Two-guitar band with a singer friend
4) Keep on waiting for this project to work out
5) Just jam with any musician I can find, to see if anything comes out of it

I honestly think I just need some guidance from the older guys around here.

Thanks
Whats the problem with the singer being a girl, provided she's a decent singer? If anything it will make you a bit different from the other bands around
Well, as a measure of how useless this is - I haven't heard her sing. We are a guitarist, keyboardist, and singer, and the keyboardist has no keyboard, and we havne't played to gether yet.

Also - while that was my take on it, I don't see a girl with a fairly high voice (unless singing =/= talking) doing Chad Kroeger's voice :P I could be wrong, though..
You never know who you will and won't work with, so for that single reason which is the only reason that I honestly think is relevant.

Number 5
3) Two guitars (singing at the same time) and a female singer. Sounds like a folk trio to me. Do it.

Seriously though, make music with whoever you can, take the most solid sounding people, not the arrangement that gets you closest to a typical four/five piece rock band. If the drummer and bass player seem like they'll take things the most seriously, just ditch the singer and get a different one. If they seem flakey and the singer seems really serious, go with her and some keys or other guitar.

You have some options here, but you have to accept that you're going to be cutting some of these people out of the mix whatever you do. If things don't go well, think of it as a valid learning experience that makes you a better musician and bandmate before you start again in college.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
3) Two guitars (singing at the same time) and a female singer. Sounds like a folk trio to me. Do it.

WEll, it would be more of a folk duo, the wording wasn't clear, but this one is new to me, and I like the idea - the two guitars make more intricate lead work viable, which is always good, and we'll find a way around the lack of percussion.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
You have some options here, but you have to accept that you're going to be cutting some of these people out of the mix whatever you do. If things don't go well, think of it as a valid learning experience that makes you a better musician and bandmate before you start again in college.

That's my main hope, really. Not many 16-year olds make it big, so all I can do is give myself a better chance for the future.

And the cutting people out will be tough. I'm a wuss
What about trying 2-6? It'll take up your time unitl you can get something solid.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by zhilla
Whats the problem with the singer being a girl, provided she's a decent singer? If anything it will make you a bit different from the other bands around

grab barbie and ken and start off with what thier comfortable with and then phase in your own taste's, after all you can't expect them to play what you want and ignore what they like, the key to a band... is give and take.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary