I just got teh option to use a program called Rosetta Stone for my german course instead of textbook work. Has anybody used this? Apparently its very high rated but i also saw some abd reviews, so if you could give me your opinions that would be awesome
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
Looks good off the telly adverts, but then everything does. Sorry that's not very helpful...
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
It throws you into the language with no translations, it can be really hard, but I like it.

You may need to translate a few of the words online. But on the whole, I think it's really good.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
It works well for learning vocabulary. I did a little bit of German myself. I don't think it teaches grammar very well though.
I don't have a sig. Or an avatar.
Quote by Haggard13
I just got teh option to use a program called Rosetta Stone for my german course instead of textbook work. Has anybody used this? Apparently its very high rated but i also saw some abd reviews, so if you could give me your opinions that would be awesome

I downloaded it, and it was alright
not my thing really, as I prefer books but I know many buddies that love it
I use it every once in a while
It's supposed to be really effective. It's probably frustrating as hell, but if you actually want to learn the language I'd roll with it.
the reviews i read have only found two problems:

1. the price. i assume this won't be a problem for you if you're using it through school.
2. the multiple choice questions. people have complained about being able to guess the answers instead of learning properly. i wouldn't worry about this if you're actually trying to learn, because it's your choice, whether you study right or not.
I use the program to learn japanese
i think it's great, sometimes a little difficult with grammar but still i love it,
it really works like learning a first language, combining pictures and words, making your brain connect them automatically, a real good method
Last edited by Sebas123 at Feb 12, 2009,
My Russian professor (works at the US State Department, moonlights at college) was adamant about how it did NOT work for learning Russian. He didn't discuss any other languages specifically, but did start talking about how computer software currently can't handle languages in the fluid, humanoid sense of the word.
DOWN&OUT
It's not as good as it seems... It will teach you basic vocabulary and a teensy bit of sentence structuring, but that's it... You might as well read a German book with a German dictionary next to you....seriously.
We're forgetting the most important thing, Michael Phelps endorsed it. It has to be amazing.
Quote by pwnerer
It's not as good as it seems... It will teach you basic vocabulary and a teensy bit of sentence structuring, but that's it... You might as well read a German book with a German dictionary next to you....seriously.

That's my main gripe with it; I don't just want to learn phrases, I want to learn how to build them.
The money thing isn't an issue though if you have...connections.

<.<

>.>
Quote by which ones pink
That's my main gripe with it; I don't just want to learn phrases, I want to learn how to build them.
The money thing isn't an issue though if you have...connections.

<.<

>.>

Well, i have used it to learn French... It was a waste of time (luckily I didn't pay for it... I have connections too :p )

Right now, I'm learning French by reading basic books, newspapers and listening to French music (hip hop mainly ) while keeping a dictionary close by... and maybe also a little booklet on sentence structuring and verbs. 1000x better than Rosetta stone.