I need a noise reduction pedal to get rid of horrible background hum and hiss. I think I'm gonna get the ISP Decimator, but I'm worried that I won't be able to make my guitar feedback like it does now.

I often use feedback intros or will hit my DS-2 just before the chorus of a song hits to create a feedback swell. It'd suck not to be able to do that anymore but my set up is hissing like a mo-fo and has been since as long as I can remember.

I recently changed my amp and it got a lot worse. Any ideas/ suggestion? Appreciate it.
Last edited by gerardwayne at Feb 12, 2009,
Maybe thou hast stumbled into the wrongth forum for questions such as these...
You do know pedal's turn on and off right?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Cheers for the sarcasm butI'm using a USA Tele, a 70's reissue mexican strat or a 2003 mustang. The guitars are fine. Wiring's perfect. There's just a lot of hiss. What i need to know is if the ISP Decimator will get rid of the hiss but still let me create feedback when I need to.

Thanks.

P.S. if this is the wrong place to post, where should I post this?
Quote by gerardwayne
Cheers for the sarcasm butI'm using a USA Tele, a 70's reissue mexican strat or a 2003 mustang. The guitars are fine. Wiring's perfect. There's just a lot of hiss. What i need to know is if the ISP Decimator will get rid of the hiss but still let me create feedback when I need to.

Thanks.

P.S. if this is the wrong place to post, where should I post this?

Read my post.

And this should be in Guitar Gear and Accessories or Electric Guitar.

Last edited by Vampire 255 at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by Vampire 255
Read my post.

Ya but if I turn it off it'll still buzz like crazy. Will any noise reduction pedal allow you to feedback while still on?
Quote by gerardwayne
Ya but if I turn it off it'll still buzz like crazy. Will any noise reduction pedal allow you to feedback while still on?

Don't see why not.

What amp do you have? and have you checked your leads?

Single coils are known for noise. Try moving farther away from your amp, turn down the gain (if you're using any), make sure you don't have anything like a computer or TV on in the room, try moving your amp to a different room and use a different outlet. Check your cables and your power supply for your pedal if you're using one.

And take it to GGA next time.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
i don't think the decimator will be a major problem. it might make it marginally more difficult to get feedback, but you should still be able to get it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Vampire 255
Don't see why not.

What amp do you have? and have you checked your leads?

I switched over to gear and accessories, man. Don't wanna get banned or something.
I'm using a Fender FM100H head and the special cab to match it. A lot of people been giving out about the distorted tone of the amp. It took me a few days of messing with the dials but I got it to sound real good now. I run a DS-2 straight into a boss v-wah, boss chorus, boss digital delay, boss flanger, marshall regenerator, and a planet waves tuner. I use both the clean and overdrive settings on the amp and the DS-2 to take the distortion even further when I need to. Will eventually be running the Effects through the amps effects loop but been kinda broke lately so I haven't gotten around to buying the extra cables just yet. I did try it that way using a friends cables though, and I still had the same problem.
Quote by gerardwayne
I'm using a Fender FM100H head and the special cab to match it. A lot of people been giving out about the distorted tone of the amp. It took me a few days of messing with the dials but I got it to sound real good now. I run a DS-2 straight into a boss v-wah, boss chorus, boss digital delay, boss flanger, marshall regenerator, and a planet waves tuner. I use both the clean and overdrive settings on the amp and the DS-2 to take the distortion even further when I need to. Will eventually be running the Effects through the amps effects loop but been kinda broke lately so I haven't gotten around to buying the extra cables just yet. I did try it that way using a friends cables though, and I still had the same problem.

The FM is your problem, get a new amp.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
The FM is your problem, get a new amp.

I like the amp - the clean channel is crystal clear most of the time and the drive channel is perfect for what I use it for - a stepping stone from clean to crunch. The ISP will probably get rid of the noise anyway, right?
A noise reduction pedal is like a gate, it cuts out any noise below a certain threshold. Feedback will be very hard to get with the threshold set up high because it will just cut it out or it will start but would cut in and out when the level drops. The only thing you can do it either raise the gain or lower the threshold on the pedal.
Alright. I think I'll get the pedal and fiddle with it a bit to see how it works or what I can do with it, and if it doesn't work how I need it to I'll sell it and my amp and buy something else. Maybe with tubes this time. Can tubes be noisy too?
sure
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gerardwayne
Alright. I think I'll get the pedal and fiddle with it a bit to see how it works or what I can do with it, and if it doesn't work how I need it to I'll sell it and my amp and buy something else. Maybe with tubes this time. Can tubes be noisy too?

Your amp isn't bad because it's SS, it's bad because it's an oversized practice amp that is prone to noise. Amp that's prone to noise + single coils (also prone to noise) = a very good chance that there will be noise.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows