been doing some recording this week using garageband listening back to what i have recorded sounds nothing like what i hear when im playing loads of mistakes and buzzes and unwanted string noise are heard. think its my picking hand that catches on the strings that makes the unwanted string noise. what are some good exercises to clean up my playing and technique
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
take it all very slow, with a metronome if possible.

play it slow til its very clean.
then speed it up a bit
and repeat until at full speed.
Quote by ginjaninja
take it all very slow, with a metronome if possible.

play it slow til its very clean.
then speed it up a bit
and repeat until at full speed.

plus one gajillion
FOR SALE:

Wilkinson EZ lok Tuners - £15
Dunlop 535q Multiwah - £80

Offers/Trades anyone?
even going slow i get unwanted string noise soon as soon as i lift my finger off the fret
NO ONES GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE
THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT
moving your fingers slow will cause that because its like your playing in slow motion...

just get your picking in syc with your fretting hand..u can try fretting the note fast but still playing it slow..

also with your picking hand..use your wrist or the smaller movements..and your elbow for the bigger movements like skipping strings and stuff...hold your pick at a slight angle i wouldnt go a 45 degree..but alot of ppl do thats up to you i go maybe a 30 or so..

dont anchor stay relaxed and really pay close attention to what your doing if u play closer to your trim the strings are less boucing..playing closer to your neck they will be harder cuz the movement of the vibration of the strings are much more at that spot...

and when we talk about playing slow we mean really really slow like 24 bpm..i dont think u wanna go above 40 when improving your tech

lastly this is the wrong form for your question so for more info about how not to anchor and everything else goo here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

plz dont make a anchoring thread ull get in trouble..u might get alot better answers there..

GOOD LUCK!!
What they said. And learn to mute - either with your picking hand or by leaving the fretting finger in slight contact with the string until you need it again instead of lifting it straight off.

Check out freepower's sticky in advanced techniques too
This is an extremely common problem with guitarists whom are focussed on speed training early. If you can't play it slow, you can't play it fast. So do as people have suggested above. That said, it's great you've realised this problem and you can now work on getting rid of it. You will also now listen more to what you are playing.

Also you may want to practice on a clean channel - distortion covers up your mistakes to a point.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Just lightly mute the strings that you aren't playing with the picking hand.
Quote by leephan
Just lightly mute the strings that you aren't playing with the picking hand.

becareful because that can lead to anchering with your palm just right behind your thumb. its ok if your hand isnt fixed to yoru guitar anyway and it rubs over the strings..but it u acutally start mounting your hand to your bridge thats anchoring

muting does help..but im kinda thinkin its not the way u wanna go about about fixing your problem..but maybe i dont know.

just take it slow use everyones advice and do what u think is best and dont start anchoring