basically i want to start recording, guitar, bass, vocals, separately and mix them on a pc,

i want it to be cheap (something cheap but good quality)

how much would you recommend i spend on a sound card (and which one) and all the other stuff needed (i have no idea on recording as you can probably tell,

thanks guys
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Well you will need an audio interface to hook up to your computer. These come in either firewire or USB. Then you will need a mic. Your best bet with that would be a Shure SM57. Good all around mic for guitar and even your vocals at first. I would recommend an E-MU 0202 or 0404 or a presonus inspire. This will cost anywhere between $220-$300. The interfaces come with bundled software to get you recording immediately.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
what would you say my minimum budget should be?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Whatever you can afford really, lol

That being said, it won't cost you an arm and a leg these days to get a decent sounding recording.

I'm still fairly new to recording myself, but you're going to want a good mic (SM57 is pretty much essential), an audio interface, software, and monitors. Consider a condenser mic as well if you can afford one, they're supposed to be better for recording acoustic guitars and vocals, but I'd just get an SM57 and an interface first and play around with that.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
right so the shopping list is going to be;

shure sm57
an interface (please suggest some)
monitors (please suggest some)

with the shure sm57, do i hook it up to record the sound coming from my guitar amp (as if im playing live if you get me)
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by ChazBcWarlock at Feb 12, 2009,
yep yep yep.
You are def. on the right track. And yeah, you can do the whole record the guitar live thing, or direct in and use modeling software. If you already have some sweet tone going, record it live.

www.tweakheadz.com
^ you may want to check that out for some basics.

-Ryan
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
yep yep yep.
You are def. on the right track. And yeah, you can do the whole record the guitar live thing, or direct in and use modeling software. If you already have some sweet tone going, record it live.

www.tweakheadz.com
^ you may want to check that out for some basics.

-Ryan

well my tone is pretty good

a jackson ke3 and laney lc50 equal a crushing tone so im going to be going live not direct input

what interface do you suggest and monitors
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Do you have USB and firewire ports on your computer?
For monitors the KRK 5's or 6's will work well.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
They are for mixing. They are designed to be completely transparent and are Eq'd completely flat. That way you know your mixes will sound good on any sound system, headphones etc.
Quote by Swami
Monitors = speakers? Or how don't they equal speakers?

Yes they are speakers. But mixing speakers.
Im no recording expert, but one way to go about this is with Line 6 stuff. A UX2 or UX8 (something in between?) device will take care of the interface for guitars and mics to the computer. If you use an "interface" such as this, you do not need a new sound card.

If you are a complete noob beginner like me, you could probably learn a few things from using Riffworks software before moving on to something more complex and versatile.
Check out the E-mu 0404 or the presonus inspire. f you are looking for more tracks at a time or to record drums the Presonus FP10.
The Yamaha MW10c USB Mixer has done me worlds of good. Google it and see what it looks like