Stokes Law describes the terminal velocity (v) for a spherical particle of density ρp:
v = [d2g(ρp – ρsw)]/18μ
where d = particle diameter
g = acceleration due to gravity = 9.8 m/s2
ρsw = seawater density = 1.03 g/cm3
μ = seawater viscosity = 0.01 g/s⋅cm
Use this equation to calculate how long it would take a single coccolith to reach the seafloor if the water is 3800 m deep and still (not turbulent or circulating). Assume a spherical diameter of 5 microns (5x10-6 m) and a calcite density (ρp) of 2.7 g/cm3

so i understand where to punch these numbers in the equation, but do i need to convert them all to one unti of measurment (i.e. meters)? and do i just divide 3800 by the answer of the equation to find the final solution?
thanks everyone, i need this for class in 45 minutes if someone could help. and if you need incentive to help i can rate songs or something. Ugers help me out!
thanks guys rock on
Convert everything to the units you want the answer in... Myself I'd go for cm considering that everything but g is in cm-somethings.

Also, you'll need to find acceleration due to gravity in the water; don't know how to do this off the top of my head but I'll guess it's something to do with g and the water's density

Then consider 2 parts of the motion: top of water to terminal velocity, and terminal velocity to bottom. Add the time you get out for each part and you're done.

Sorry if I'm not much use, I'm only halfway through my 2nd year of A-levels (doing further maths though including M1-M3, so probs more use than someone who's only done M1).

*edit* Isn't there a maths thread somewhere? Searchbar for that next time, if there is a next time...
* reads title *

'' hmm i'm quite good at math i'll see if i can help ''

*opens thread *
*leaves thread *
what?
Gear:
Ibanez RG2ex2
mega distortion md-2
Metal Muff
Marshall MG microstack
Line 6 spyder hd75 halfstack
Sonic Stomp