Wondering how this is possible, I need a good quality sound as close to studio as possible. Not a big fan of micing for recording.
you don't wanna mic it? I'd think micing it would sound the best.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by tomguitarworshi
you don't wanna mic it? I'd think micing it would sound the best.

From my experience micing sounds like horse manure. In studios it's a direct line in if i'm not mistaken.

Quote by timi_hendrix
I lol'd, good show.

wrong thread?
No, I loled also.
Studios almost NEVER direct in. They mic it about 3 " away from the cab.
Quote by connor045
From my experience micing sounds like horse manure. In studios it's a direct line in if i'm not mistaken.

wrong thread?

No you're wrong. In any high quality studio they mic. Most bands you listen to are mic'd. There are very few bands who prefer to record direct. Because recording direct doesn't give you the real feel of the amp.

If you didn't like the sound of micing you do NOT have a good instrument mic. What kind of mic are you using? Cheap mic or a vocal mic or something? You need an sm57 and it'll sound amazing.

Like I said most every band you are hearing is mic'd. I can only think of a few people who like the recorded direct sound and I hate that sound. mic'd sounds so much heavier and organic.
Quote by hcsn2008
No you're wrong. In any high quality studio they mic. Most bands you listen to are mic'd. There are very few bands who prefer to record direct. Because recording direct doesn't give you the real feel of the amp.

If you didn't like the sound of micing you do NOT have a good instrument mic. What kind of mic are you using? Cheap mic or a vocal mic or something? You need an sm57 and it'll sound amazing.

Like I said most every band you are hearing is mic'd. I can only think of a few people who like the recorded direct sound and I hate that sound. mic'd sounds so much heavier and organic.

Using an audio-technical ATM410 through a m-audio fast track usb.
Quote by connor045
Using an audio-technical ATM410 through a m-audio fast track usb.

Well Ive never messed with that mic but if it's a proper instrument mic and it sounds like crap then you are doing something wrong man. Theres a few tricks to recording guitar. What program are you using? M audio pro tools? It took me a while to learn to record a guitar cab also. At first it does sound like crap but you have to learn how to do it properly with the mic and your program. And then you will never want to go direct.
Quote by hcsn2008
Well Ive never messed with that mic but if it's a proper instrument mic and it sounds like crap then you are doing something wrong man. Theres a few tricks to recording guitar. What program are you using? M audio pro tools? It took me a while to learn to record a guitar cab also. At first it does sound like crap but you have to learn how to do it properly with the mic and your program. And then you will never want to go direct.

I was using garage band. Where do i learn how do do it properly anyways?
Quote by connor045
I was using garage band. Where do i learn how do do it properly anyways?

There are a few websites if you google how to record guitar. I'm not sure if your mic is any good or not like I said. Basically I put my sm57 (which is like the go to guitar mic) a few inches away from the middle of the speaker cone. Depending on what sound I want I change positions. When I record it sometimes I have to normalize it. You also have to get it at a good volume level on your amp. to low sounds like crap and to high sounds like crap. You have to get it pretty loud though for a good sound.
Quote by hcsn2008
There are a few websites if you google how to record guitar. I'm not sure if your mic is any good or not like I said. Basically I put my sm57 (which is like the go to guitar mic) a few inches away from the middle of the speaker cone. Depending on what sound I want I change positions. When I record it sometimes I have to normalize it. You also have to get it at a good volume level on your amp. to low sounds like crap and to high sounds like crap. You have to get it pretty loud though for a good sound.

What program do you use?