Hey guys

I play in a reggae band and i think its really hard to play a solo in this style.
When I jam to blues or Classic Rock i can play really good Solos but in Reggae it sounds ****ty... IMO the Blues Licks dont fit. Anybody have tips for me?
self harmonizing is the obvious way to go, it can sound a bit cheesy, but if done well it has a real nice affect.
Reggae doesn´t need a lot of solos.. Just add some melodies man.. Simple melodies. No super shred solos for reggae..
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by Holandir
Hey guys

I play in a reggae band and i think its really hard to play a solo in this style.
When I jam to blues or Classic Rock i can play really good Solos but in Reggae it sounds ****ty... IMO the Blues Licks dont fit. Anybody have tips for me?

I can't really explain how to do it, but here's a bit of advice: Listen to some reggae music with guitar solos, learn the song, examine the structure of the scales/location on the neck/tone. Without imitating this guitarist's style, use some of his/her techniques to form your own "reggae" style. Repeat as necessary.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Really focus on chord tones and arpeggios, keep your phrases short and choppy, keep the notes short and staccato, major scale, bob's your uncle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmm, I play a lot of reggae and I found bluesy pentonic stuff sounds really good over it. Maybe try the major pentonic scale. Also listen to the live version of "No Woman No Cry" of Bob Marley's Legend album. That's a perfect example of how blues/rock licks can work well in reggae.

PS, You lucky you can find reggae musicians to jam with. Everyone in my area plays hard rock or metal. I want to start a reggae band but I can't find anyone interested.
Last edited by RollingRamones at Feb 14, 2009,
OK thanks guys
Yeah in know really much people in my city with who i can play a bit reggae
I disagree. I once played some reggae at a jam session, and I played a quick solo - pure pentatonic blues - it worked really well. Next time, I'm rocking it up, but for reggae, blues works really well - as someone said - "No Woman No Cry" has a great bluesy solo in it.
Listen to all of Peter Tosh's work, he was the original guitarist for Bob Marley & the Wailers, and he is the definitive roots reggae guitarist. Also check out, High Tide, Staylefish, Jah Roots, Pepper & Slightly Stoopid for other different newer reggae, or reggae-influenced, styles.

and the blues scale, pentatonics scales, and major scale are all your friend.
You can try using a wah wah pedal. I saw one band cover i shot the sheriff and there guitarist improvised a pretty good solo using a automatic wah wah.
I agree with learning the Live (and more popular) version of 'No Woman, No Cry' by Bob & the Wailers. good mix of major pentatonics and blue notes, and some country style bends. That was one of the first solos I learned and I'm pretty sure I can still play it note for note.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Just add a nice melody that will be singable. Something that people could hum to if they wanted.