Page 1 of 2
Hi ,

I want to get a grunge sound , and as you may notice by my avatar i really like Nirvana.
So to get a good nirvana-like sound, would this guitar be a good choice? : http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/squier/jagmaster/index.html

And can you guys recommend me some other guitars and/or pedals?

Thanks alot

Almost forgot, i dont want to spend a lot of money on the guitar, so i'd prefer guitars under 650 dollars

EDIT: I have a marshall valvestate 265
kthxbai.
Last edited by OMGWTFBBQ? at Feb 12, 2009,
what amp do you have?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
+1 for what amp

I'd go for something better than a Squier tbh.
Pedalwise, ProCo Rat anyone?

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Pedal: Boss DS-1
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
get a Digi-tech grunge distortion pedal and that guitar you were looking at but i would upgrade the pickups to actual Fenders or Duncans not those thin Duncan designed.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
Fender Twin Reverb with Fuzz box, or ProCat Rat Distortion pedal with American Fender Telecaster. I've heard the best Grunge tone with that setup.
Quote by JMcG92
+1 for what amp

I'd go for something better than a Squier tbh.
Pedalwise, ProCo Rat anyone?

don't bash squier, they make some really nice guitars, the jagmasters aren't bad, and the classic vibe series is great
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
Thanks man, although all those guitars are freakin expensive and i dont want to spend that amount of money :P

I did it more for the pedals it has listed anyway, the small clone is a great chorus pedal. I highly recommend it.
Kurt Cobain used a modded Boss DS-1 as his distortion pedal.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
+1 on the Jagmaster, although I'd consider an Ibanez ORM-1, it's mahogany and sounds better for high gain then my Jagmaster, and it has the comfiest neck on any guitar ever.

As for a pedal, a DS-1 or DS-2 are what Kurt Cobain used. The Digitech Grunge isn't well suited to Nirvana, it's more Mudhoney and The Melvins territory.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by eyebanez333
I did it more for the pedals it has listed anyway, the small clone is a great chorus pedal. I highly recommend it.

Oh i see, thanks alot.
Any more guitar suggestions or should i just get a jagmaster?
kthxbai.
Cobain Used a Boss DS-2 and DS-1 for distortion, and an EHX Small Clone Chorus.

I don't think he used anything else, I think he might have thrown a Big Muff in ther somewhere too.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
Oh i see, thanks alot.
Any more guitar suggestions or should i just get a jagmaster?

try to find an old Ibanez Talman. I have one and I get a really great grungy sound from it.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Ok, i have a problem.
I have a epiphone zakk wylde sig, and my father is asking why i just dont get a distortion pedal and dont buy the guitar.
But i wont get the sound i want without the guitar, so what is the difference between just buying a pedal for the sound, and buying a new guitar and a pedal?
kthxbai.
Honestly, you should be able to grungy sounds outta your Epi Les Paul.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
Honestly, you should be able to grungy sounds outta your Epi Les Paul.

Even with EMG's? wont the tone be too sharp?
kthxbai.
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
Even with EMG's? wont the tone be too sharp?

You gotta tone knob, and the guitar's a giant slab of mahogany, the Les Paul should do just fine.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
There is no reason why any guitar won't find a Grunge sound. Pearl Jam used Les Pauls. Alice in Chains used Les Pauls. You won't look "Grunge" with a Zakk Wylde guitar, though.
All you need for Nirvana's tone is a Boss DS-1/2, an EHX Small Clone and an amp with a clean channel. Guitar is irrelevant. You can get a great Nirvana tone with EMGs, I've heard it myself.

EDIT- AngryGoldfish- True, but Pearl Jam and AIC sound nothing like Nirvana, or like each other. Pearl Jam are classic/hard rock, AIC are metal/alt metal. The only reason they get called grunge is cause they came out of Seattle at about the same time.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Feb 13, 2009,
Quote by jwax
get a Digi-tech grunge distortion pedal and that guitar you were looking at but i would upgrade the pickups to actual Fenders or Duncans not those thin Duncan designed.

**** that those suck they just imulate the sound of kurts distortion he had one as a joke and gave it to someone in the crowd after one show.

i would recomend a jagmaster if you dont have alot or you can go on craigslist.com and try to find a mustang or jaguar for cheap other good choices are strats and les pauls. for pedals get a good distortion pedal (i beleive kurt used a boss ds-2) and a chorus pedal. and amps i would say go with a boogie if you have enough kurt loved those i also heard he liked fender amps marshals are good too good luck
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Get the Jagmaster, it's a damn good guitar...I like it almost as much as my other 2 guitars.

Get a big muff if you want a good grunge tone, get a DS-1 if you want a Kurt Cobain tone. (i have both and I don't use the DS-1 because the big muff is ****loads better)

save up more money and get a peavey classic 30.

Quote by shadow__666
All you need for Nirvana's tone is a Boss DS-1/2, an EHX Small Clone and an amp with a clean channel. Guitar is irrelevant. You can get a great Nirvana tone with EMGs, I've heard it myself.

EDIT- AngryGoldfish- True, but Pearl Jam and AIC sound nothing like Nirvana, or like each other. Pearl Jam are classic/hard rock, AIC are metal/alt metal. The only reason they get called grunge is cause they came out of Seattle at about the same time.

Kurt used les pauls..just not live. All his guitars sound closer to les pauls than any fenders (stock) except for the jagmaster & Jaguar HH (MIM)
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Feb 24, 2009,
i can get a good sound with a sg and a vox valvetronix so I think the amp, pedals and eq matter.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day. A week later it was greenday.
If she does anythign like that again I'm going to snap her drumsticks, kick her bass drum in and frisbee her cymbals.
I would recommend an Ibanez ORM-1 over a Jagmaster any day.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I would recommend a Jagstang if you can get one. Those are the guitars Kurt designed. And you can get those Nirvana tones from a les paul. But it may depend on your amp more than the guitar.
They're out of production MojoMatt.
If you want to get a new guitar, Kurt used Strats alot of the time, You can get some nice FENDER strats for under $650. Or if you dont want a Strat get a Squire Mustang or Jaguar.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
As someone has already said.. buy a guitar that you like the looks and feel of. You'll get grunge tone out of it. The main part of your tone comes from your amp and effects. So as far as effects... I have the Digitech Grunge and get eally great tones from it. Some hate it, but I really love it because it thickens up my Strat single coils for the really heavy parts. I play more modern grune-esque stuff though.. so try it out and see if it works for you.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Link.JohnIrving at Feb 27, 2009,
he used a ds-1, then it broke and he bought a ds-2
he used a big muff on lithium

as for guitars, depending on your price range, go for teh jagmaster, fender strats (no matter where they're made), the fender jaguar (special HH chrome+black OR the mexican classic player) or a telecaster(Kurt's favorite guitar, even though he didn't use is that much)

you can get some pretty sweet grunge overdrive/distortion out of single coils
Quote by TimBFMV
They're out of production MojoMatt.
If you want to get a new guitar, Kurt used Strats alot of the time, You can get some nice FENDER strats for under $650. Or if you dont want a Strat get a Squire Mustang or Jaguar.

There isn't a Squier Jaguar or Mustang. There have been Squier Cyclones, Duo Sonics and Jagmasters.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
You can definately get a good tone out of that LP of yours man, and even if its not spot on just make it your own thing. Its better to emulate with at least a little originality than just completely emulate. And as for the boss DS-1 or DS-2, in my opinion unless your gonna get them modded stay away from them. I would prefer something like a big muff. Well for me it would be the russian muff, but check them both out...
Gear:

Carvin Cobalt-350
LTD Alexi-600
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Line 6 Spider III 15
Boss DD-20
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Boss FZ-5
Dunlop Slash Wah
Quote by OMGWTFBBQ?
Hi ,

I want to get a grunge sound , and as you may notice by my avatar i really like Nirvana.
So to get a good nirvana-like sound, would this guitar be a good choice? : http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/squier/jagmaster/index.html

And can you guys recommend me some other guitars and/or pedals?

Thanks alot

Almost forgot, i dont want to spend a lot of money on the guitar, so i'd prefer guitars under 650 dollars

EDIT: I have a marshall valvestate 265

Alright a few points here.

Firstly if you want distortion:

*Digitech Grunge - This does cop a lotta flack for "exploiting" a sound but it's not bad
*Boss DS-1/2 - Yes Cobain used this, however the early 90's boss stuff was a lot better then there current stuff. If your going to get a DS either get a new DS-2 or look at a keeley modded DS-1

For chorus:
*EHX Small Clone - Enough said, this thing rocks. Perfects for Soundgarden, Nirvana, Alice in Chains whatever.

As guitar's go:

Whilst the squier isn't neccesscarily a bad choice, just be aware a lot of grunge artists, cobain in paticular had a single coil in the bridge and humbucker in the neck. If you are really THAT dedicated to grunge you might want to look at this. Otherwise even something like a strat with noise cancelling pickups would be alright.

BTW squiers aren't that bad...with a good setup (Paticuarly action) They'll play reasonably.

As for amps...Don't know a hell of a lot about your amp...yes Valvestate cops plenty of **** on here...paticuarly MG's, however i woulda thought your amp alright.
The gear:

* Epiphone Les Paul Custom
* Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 String
* Fender Squier P Bass
* Blackstar Stage HT-60
* Original Crybaby
* EHX Small Clone
* Boss DD-3
"super fuzz, big muff" thats the univox of coarse that should sort out pedals maybe a MXR Distortion + too.
amps well a regular marshall stack would sound good but u could try a fender some of them have muddier tones and the twin reverb and the concert are great for a classic garage sound.
guitars hi output but a little mud, kurt used a mosrite mark 5 and for smashing he had a heap of univox mossrite replicas and i think a jstag which i believe he designed? with guitars the pots will probly make a difference 1000k's like wats in a old tele will give u too much twang and treble but lower resistance pots say around 250k will be muddier.

but thats all old vintage gear specially the superfuzz ($300 on auction) so u might want to ask the guy at your local music store about some of the newer pedals and guitars.

if you wanna build your own superfuzz pedal heres a great link http://www.geocities.com/vincentthu/pedal.html

kurt build his own superfuzz too!
Quote by hendrixftw
As guitar's go:

Whilst the squier isn't neccesscarily a bad choice, just be aware a lot of grunge artists, cobain in paticular had a single coil in the bridge and humbucker in the neck. If you are really THAT dedicated to grunge you might want to look at this. Otherwise even something like a strat with noise cancelling pickups would be alright.

Your info is a little mixed up.

Kurt cobain's guitars usually had a single coil in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. He'd usually have strats with single coil sized humbuckers in the bridge position too - a quick and easy mod for a guitar that he was going to destroy. I don't think noise cancelling applies much either, especially if you're looking for an In Utero era tone, where you can pretty much hear a 60hz undertone coming through all distorted guitar parts.

Page 1 of 2