I made a thread a while ago, but it kinda died and sank to the bottom of the forum before it was answered...

Basically i have a problem with strings snapping at the bridge (tune-o-matic style).

I've tried various things and filing the grooves doesn't do anything.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with roller bridges?

Do they make much difference, and will they help my string snapping problem?

ta
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
They might be snapping because you pick too much at the bridge, I think.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
get thicker strings like 11s or 10s and get a good brand like Ernie Ball or DR.
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
^probably what guitarmaniac said. Also, what gauge strings do you have and what are you tuning to?

(Interesting sig guitarmaniac)
He wasn't talking to me when he said it. Now I see your sig about Mormons and understand why you said that.

Nice guitar in your sig.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Sorry about taking ages to repost guys.

Guitarmaniac - I'm pretty sure it's not my picking - i only really play close to the bridge if i'm palm muting or playing quite quick stuff, in which case i don't pick hard anyway. The strings usually break when i'm doing normal strumming, and judging by the dust on my guitar, this is usually over the neck pickup.

ortrigger - I use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys (10 gauge), and don't have a problem on my other guitar (strat style).

So any views on roller bridges like this?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Schaller_Roller_Bridge.html

ta
Do or do not, there is no try. - Albus Dumbledore
Seems to me like the only explanation would be some faults in your saddles... sharp edges will eat through strings very fast.