I'm looking to buy a used MIDI keyboard controller on eBay. Things I'm looking for:

- At least semi-weighted keys
- Control Parameters
- Preferably full 88 keys, but I'm also fine with a little less.
- Under $80-90 including shipping...I'm bidding for used instruments.

So I just want to know what are generally the most reputable brands. Any specific model suggestions or direct eBay links are welcome as well.

Thanks.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You're not going to find anything new or possibly even used for under $100 with all of what you're looking for. price range aside, I would recommend the M-Audio Axiom series or any of their other keyboards. Decently priced, work great.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Did you find anything Xiaoxi?

I'm looking to do exactly the same - I already have a Remote 25 but I'm looking for a full sized midi keyboard ( I dont even want controllers really) so I can dump this bloody upright piano and reclaim some space

I was also looking m-audio 88 - but did you find anything else to look for (dont worry, I'm bidding UK only!)
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
Did you find anything Xiaoxi?

I'm looking to do exactly the same - I already have a Remote 25 but I'm looking for a full sized midi keyboard ( I dont even want controllers really) so I can dump this bloody upright piano and reclaim some space

I was also looking m-audio 88 - but did you find anything else to look for (dont worry, I'm bidding UK only!)

Just the links I have above. I want the 88es the most though.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Just the links I have above. I want the 88es the most though.

I'm going to try my luck on one of those in a minute, though I suspect it's going to be a snipefest!

I also saw a Fatar SL 880 going - i'm not familiar with them at all, but they look good - as if they are desinged to play like a real piano. I suspect that the price is going to rocket as we get closer to the end of the auction tho
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
M-Audio is probably the most reputable brand that will have anything in that price range that meets your specs, but beware they their cheap stuff is notorious for being extremely fragile and poorly built.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I got outbid on the 88es but there are a couple more 88es auctions. I've been reading up on them and the only problem seems to be that their velocity curve is messed up. I don't know if that is going to be that big of a deal for me because I'll be using it mostly for entering notes into notation programs and sequencers...

It doesn't have many faders or anything, but I have that on my Oxygen 8v2.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I got outbid on the 88es but there are a couple more 88es auctions. I've been reading up on them and the only problem seems to be that their velocity curve is messed up. I don't know if that is going to be that big of a deal for me because I'll be using it mostly for entering notes into notation programs and sequencers...

It doesn't have many faders or anything, but I have that on my Oxygen 8v2.

Hey, great minds eh? I have my novation remote 25 for twiddling, I got the 88es for tinkling

I've been wondering about things like that though - I'm no pianist, am i even going to notice things like velocity curves, aftertouch etc unless they are really, really bad?

All I really want this for is to replace the piano (gain some space) and use with the grands etc in Kontakt 3/Cubase to come up with ideas etc and for the kids to have a bash...

it's obviously important to people who play professionally - but, for example, am I doing my children a disservice by giving them a cheap midi controller to learn on instead of a piano?

Or is it the same thing as the difference to a well set up cheapo guitar and a well setup Les Paul?
Quote by cuthbertg

I've been wondering about things like that though - I'm no pianist, am i even going to notice things like velocity curves, aftertouch etc unless they are really, really bad?
Well, if you are an avid electronic music producer and the keyboard is your choice for putting in live performance into a sequencer (such as a keyboard solo), then the velocity curve does matter because I heard it's very hard to reach the full 127 value in the volume even if you bang your finger on it. So it's definitely going to be an issue if you're going to be relying on the 88es for expression and dynamics.

it's obviously important to people who play professionally - but, for example, am I doing my children a disservice by giving them a cheap midi controller to learn on instead of a piano?

Well, the main difference between these electronic keyboards and a real piano is the action on the keys. They have different weights, feel, and sizes. So it's a bad idea if your children are trying to learn as pianists. Now there are keyboards that very accurately replicate the key feel of a piano, but those are usually very expensive. I'm interested in the 88es because it at least has semi-weighted action, which while still does not feel like the real thing, it'll suffice for now.

Just like you, I'm not really a piano player and I'm using this for light tasks. I'm a composition major so I will be doing a lot of notation on the computer and I need the full 88 range for the different instruments that I write for. I am learning piano at school however and I can use this to practice on, but I still need to go to the practice room to play on a real piano every once in a while.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Feb 16, 2009,
Ah, well thanks for clearing that up for me dude!

I'm going to see what the specs on my old mk-149 were - I tend to improvise and jam out a track with just drums + guitar and/or bass and then add on keyboard bits last and always I had problems with levels on the keyboard bits which I would have to sort out later, but to be honest, didn't pay too much attention to the velocity bit in the midi editor but I could well imagine you would have to drop a piano on it to get 127!

As for the children, it's more about having instruments around so that can use them if they want to have a go etc, if they do decide to learn an instrument I would of course do my best to give them the most suitable kit.

I was never allowed anywhere near my Dad's guitar as a kid, never got the chance to pick one up until I was sixteen so I want to make sure it'sall there for them if they want it.

+ it's a two way street - my 4 year old comes up with great fills on the midi drumkit!!!

Best of luck with the study - I'd love to be doing what you're doing - sounds like your heads' screwd on and I'm sure you'll do well.

I'll give your tracks a listen once I reinstall flash!