Ok, I am a junior in high school. I am planning to study music as a major in college(Bussiness and performance). I have good grades and am studying for and taking S.A.T and A.C.T. I have been looking at colleges and the obvious ones that come to mind are Berklee, G.I.T., U.M. The one I am looking most at is Berklee. My parents are bugging me, saying, "Well what if you don't get in?!"Well, I obviously am going to apply elsewhere but I am quite sure I will get in. Recently, a friend of mine got in, and we are at about the same level.

But I want to know other choices. My guidance counselor gave me a list of hundreds of music schools, but something that I think is different with music college is that the college needs to be in an area with a good music scene, so that while in college, the musican can be exposed, play shows, make connections etc.....no point in being good and go out and become recongnized, right? So I would like other college suggestions, pefferebaly ones that have a good music scene around the area and ones that do have the option of studying businness as well as peformance(more contemporary styles). I do play classical and would like to study it more, but it is not my strong point and I would not be able to get a scholarship but thats a different story for now.

Thanks in advanced
Right now I'm at Duquesne University majoring in music. Set in the heart of Pittsburgh, which has a lot of shows.

Before you come here, be ready to work, though. It's ****ing hard, I won't lie.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Quote by twistedsister
But I want to know other choices. My guidance counselor gave me a list of hundreds of music schools, but something that I think is different with music college is that the college needs to be in an area with a good music scene, so that while in college, the musican can be exposed, play shows, make connections etc.....no point in being good and go out and become recongnized, right?

Your in Junior high? I wish I was as ambitious as you are when I was that age >.>
Anyway, chances are you are going to be playing in an ensemble if you go to a university, so you will get experience paying "gigs" if thats what you mean. If you play classical or jazz guitar I would focus on that because you will need it in college. Most schools require a jazz and or classical audition, and the instrument studies will also be jazz or classical oriented.
Quote by blueriver
Your in Junior high? I wish I was as ambitious as you are when I was that age >.>

No, he's a junior in high school. I wish I was too though
You don't need to go to a music school to earn a degree in music. Every school I've looked at (though I have no clue about the college I attend) has a music major. You will learn plenty about music, but you have to take general education classes as well, classes such as math, social sciences, writing, lab sciences, and humanities. The other advantage you have is the ability to take classes in subjects you wouldn't normally explore and perhaps even decide that you like something more than music as a career.

There is no (at least very little) difference between a BA, BS, BSE, AB, or any other kind of bachelor's degree. A degree from a music school is different, not better or worse, but different. Even if you're certain you want to pursue music (and you aren't), a music school may not be right for you. I'm not going to tell you to where to go, but at such an early stage, you should look at all options.
I can recommend Montreal (where I live and study). McGill, Concordia and l'Universite de Montreal all have excellent music programs (UQaM might too but I'm not familiar) the scene is as good as any in Canada and the city / lifestyle is generally excellent. And even as an international student, you pay less than what you might pay in the states (about 17k/year I think, in itty-bitty $CDN). Housing is cheap if you know where to live. And it gets pretty cold sometimes but it's a great city in a great country (pity about our current government though)
Similar to the other thread, it really depends on what you want to get out of it. Some pursuits require a degree from an accredited university - not just a music school. Canada Council grants, Faculties of Education, etc. require an honours degree in music. Not all honours degrees are created equally. A degree from McGill would be looked at more favourably than just a music school degree because it is an academic program.

Unless, of course, your degree is from Julliard or Manhattan School of Music or something....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Berklee is getting more and more selective. Just this year they announced that they are accepting less guitar players for their studio than previous years. That means you have to look at all options like you said you are. Some advice, brush up on your sight reading skills. I have completed a few auditions this year for jazz guitar, and the sight reading selections have been easy. Still many guitar players can not play the sight reading selections at all. They want people with the ability to read music because it's so necessary and they don't have the time to teach you when so much else will be covered.
12 fret fury
Quote by Jordan987
No, he's a junior in high school. I wish I was too though

Oh oops i misread. I wasn't that ambitious in highschool either though.
Can't you just apply to all and pick whatever one accepts you that you like the most? That's what I did.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
North Texas State is a really good music school. There are a couple of schools here in Ohio, that have great music programs; University of Cincinnati, Capitol (in Columbus), and Ohio State.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by AlanHB
Can't you just apply to all and pick whatever one accepts you that you like the most? That's what I did.
Yeah. It should be mentioned that it is vital to apply to at least three places, lest you get the finger from the two to which you applied.