Every i alt pick when im standing up i started to wear out that side of the pick within minutes. I keep ruining them. Then only way i can prevent it is if i keep the guitar at a complete 180 degree angle when im playing (which is very uncomfortable). someone plz help me
How heavy are the picks that your using? I play every day with .73 thick picks, and it usually takes about 2 weeks for them to start really wearing down, so using a heavier pick might help you out.
i dont know what number size they are, i no the ones i have are mediums, ill even get colored dust on my guitar from playing like 10 minutes. should i get a bass pick?
I have a nylon pick that I got years ago. I don't play a lot as I'm only a hobby guitarist and I often go for months without playing but it's had hours of playing and still survives.
I can't remember where I got it but if I ever see some more I'll get them. The standard plastic ones that I bought recently have grooves in the side where I did some string slides with it on a song I was practising and this was only after one playing session.

Cheers
Well mediums are pretty thin. I moved up from them straight to 2mm which are the thickest I've seen, my bassist even uses them, but your problem is that you need thicker picks. Since they don't say the number I'm assuming you're using Fender picks. I would upgrade to Dunlops. Try 1mm.
Quote by TheOrangeRift
Are there other ways to hold the pick besides between thumb and index finger?

well, thats the only way i know, and the other way that seems comfortable. are there other ways you like to hold the pick?
Quote by TheOrangeRift
Yeah, I heard Dunlop picks are great for metal. I'll try them when start running out of the .73 picks I currently have.

I just bought a pack of Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm and I'm lovin 'em
I have been molesting my .73 tortex pick, unless I pickscrape like a psycho they last FOREVER. I have one that I've been using for about a year now. I've worn the sides down (so it's become slick) But I just scraped some patterns to get some grip again. They really last forever.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Seriously. How do you make dust out of picks? Do you have the most brutalist guitar ever? Razor wire for strings? What kind of picks are they?
I think primarily you just need to loosen up when you play. It'll sound a lot better as well. I used to get mad at my brother and mom when they always told me that, but it helps a lot. Thicker picks will help until you become comfortable playing lightly. So just work on that.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by ddark
Every i alt pick when im standing up i started to wear out that side of the pick within minutes. I keep ruining them. Then only way i can prevent it is if i keep the guitar at a complete 180 degree angle when im playing (which is very uncomfortable). someone plz help me

tried Jazz picks yet?
Also how do you wear your picks out so quick? Do you like pick and strum as hard as you can?
Last edited by mikey son at Feb 13, 2009,
It's probably just the angle you hold the pick.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I think you should also try holding the pick so that your fingers are closer to the point. You'll have more control when you pick and unless you strum like a madman, your pick should last you a while.

I've played with a jazz pick once, they are thick and very durable.
Last edited by TheOrangeRift at Feb 13, 2009,
I've been using the same 2 Jazz IIIs for about 6 months now with a lot of regular playing and they are only just beginning to wear out, so I'd say they are worth a go.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
yhea you can use the middle finger and the thumb to hold the pick.
thanx i think im going to buy some jazz picks, my problem is when i play standing up the pick is at an angle and it starts to wear on the side im playing on. My picks are blue dunlop mediums.
If you can't hold your pick parallel to the strings while standing up, your guitar is strung too low (you probably feel like you have to stretch your elbow down and out). If it's that low, it's probably hurting your left hand technique too. Adjust your strap higher until everything feels comfortable.

For pick hardness, try Ultex picks (the translucent yellow ones). They're very long lasting and have a bright tone.
I use Jim Dunlop Nylon Jazz III´s. Have had this one for 7 MONTHS and it´s still in perfect condition. I play about 4 hours a day.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Wow, I've used the same pick for about half a year now(I like it) and apart from the graphics on it it's barely been worn down!!! I use a yellow Jim Dunlop tortex pick, maybe you should try one of them.
How fast are you picking then? I use medium/heavy picks and the only time they can't be used is when I lose them. I play like a good few hours each day and they last good. Maybe your picks aren't good quality or your strings aren't.
Thrash, Not Trash.

My Guitar Gear:

Godin LG EMG
Line 6 Spider III 120w
Vox Amplug xP
i use Dunlop Jazz 3 tortex picks and they are incredible. The red ones are my favorite but after playing for a day or two the pick is gone. The green one lasts forever though.
I have the little Jazz Picks and they are lasting forever, and I prefer the smaller size
Quote by ddark

Don't change the way you play to something uncomfortable to save on picks...just buy some more. And don't get the really cheap/free ones - because they always suck. Try Dunlop ones - they're usually good - never had one of those split on me before, like loads of others have.

Also,
Quote by TheOrangeRift
Are there other ways to hold the pick besides between thumb and index finger?

Hold it however's comfortable.

Eddie Van Halen used to hold it between his middle finger and thumb to have his index free for tapping and uh, it worked okay for him I guess. But yeah, if it's comfortable for you to hold it in some other way - go for it.
Quote by familybucket
Wow, I've used the same pick for about half a year now(I like it) and apart from the graphics on it it's barely been worn down!!! I use a yellow Jim Dunlop tortex pick, maybe you should try one of them.

I have a 12-pack of those. They're okay and I expect each one to last at least two weeks. How much do you play?

Also when I'm picking furiously, the muscles in my ring and pinky fingers start aching. Is this natural? I keep having to remind myself to loosen up my right hand, but it's hard to do that when you're trying to improve your picking speed.
Last edited by TheOrangeRift at Feb 17, 2009,