I originally asked this question on the Electric forum and I was quite rightly guided to here.

I've already had some feedback but it would be great to hear what you all think!

Ok, I have dropped a clanger.

I impulse bought a project guitar from fleabay because I liked the shape of the body.

I have yet to collect it but I am paying £35 for it and it has no bridge or back plate.

I have since found out that it is a Swift Black Wicked and is a cheapo brand offered for £50 complete with bag, strap and lead. Quality indeed!
See here :http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....em=350163404078

A new licensed Floyd Rose tremelo bridge will cost me about £35-40 and a back plate around £7 but this wouldn't match the existing controls backplate so that would have to be made from scratch from the same material as the trem backplate.

The paint work is chipped so I will have to strip and repaint it. It will need a set of strings.

The only way I can see this going anywhere is if I mod it over and above the spec that it originally came with plus maybe add some gimmicks (LEDs, metal pickguard, different paint job etc).

I do still like the body shape but don't want to flog a dead horse so what would the general consensus be?

1. Pay my £35 and use the guitar for firewood.
2. Do a basic do-over to make it playable with a cheap floyd rose copy.
3. Go the whole hog and mod it to death.

What mods would actually be worthwhile if I do go this route?

Luthiers and guitar mod freaks opinions very welcome

Cheers!
I think it's worth it. though, maybe not throw in a LFR but something cheaper. I enjoy working on cheap guitars and making them a **** load better for some reason. I don't see why it would be a bad idea if you kept the price of the things you were throwing in it reasonable.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
Modding inexpensive guitars is fun, but it's important to start with a decent body and neck. The rest of the guitar can be re-done, but cheap wood and a poor neck will always hold you back. People make fun of Squiers, but for inexpensive guitars, they have good bodies and necks (and other components, depending on the exact guitar/model), so you hear them often defended as being worth putting money into. On the other hand, this does not mean that all inexpensive guitars are worth modding. It'll be hard to tell until you get it, but if the neck seems to be made out of stable wood and isn't warped, and the body isn't a sawdust mold, it might very well be worth it.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Well it would be fun to do and you'd learn a lot also but remember...polish a turd, its still a turd. Might be more worthwhile to wait, save more money and get a better guitar or modify something worth modifying.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Yes DSOTM80 I agree you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

The very least I have to do to it is to get the bridge sorted out, string it up and see what it sounds like. If it sounds like a dog I'll just sell it back on again, take a loss and learn an important lesson...DO YOUR RESEARCH!

Cheers!
Gonna say, see how it sounds... if it sounds okay,
MOD IT.
killswitch, floyd, humbuckers with dial-a-splits, in/out of phase, the whole nine yards.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
Gonna say, see how it sounds... if it sounds okay,
MOD IT.
killswitch, floyd, humbuckers with dial-a-splits, in/out of phase, the whole nine yards.

...don't forget the razor blades
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
GravyFish said it right. If the body and neck are strong, then I dont see why not. I probably wouldnt buy the most expensive stuff around as resale wouldnt bring the amount you think its worth. So consider that before putting a buttload of money into it. But then again it may bring you millions if you make it big. Thats my opinion and you know what they say about that right?
If you're interested, I've got a new chrome LFR that you can have for cheap. I'm pretty sure it's complete. Might be missing mounting posts but I'm not sure.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
mod the hell out of it. worst case scenario is that you learn how to do some things you didnt know before and you'll be much more comfortable down the line modding something that isnt a cheap guitar. best case scenario is that you take a cheap guitar and make it useful/playable.
I can't see it, the link is bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by -MintSauce-
A chavved-up Honda Civic; the finest example of turd polishing.

No no, the ebay link, I can see the pic fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
rite on man, thats what makes your guitar unigue and totally original. im always catchin crap about modding my squier but that makes it mine
I'm pretty sure this will be a plywood body but I think I'll go for it anyway just for the experience, but just be careful not to spend lots of money on it.

Sorry for the broken link I don't know why it didn't work it's just a copy/paste thing.

It's on ebay.co.uk item number 350163404078. This is a new one NOT the one that I'm getting. It's just to give an idea of the quality. It's 50gbp with a heap of stuff thrown in so it's not gonna be top notch.

Thanks for the encouragement

Cheers
it should be great learning experience. i sure as hell learned alot when i rebuilt my strat
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
do it. It will end up fine. you could get decent pickups (BTW, i like the HSH config), a decent LFR (gotoh or schaller), some inlays and a flashy paintjob. That would make a good guitar. Also, it's just 50 pounds.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by Calum_Barrow
If you're interested, I've got a new chrome LFR that you can have for cheap. I'm pretty sure it's complete. Might be missing mounting posts but I'm not sure.

Hi Calum

I sent you a message re your LFR but I'm not convinced you got it. If you are still monitoring the thread could you drop me a line please?

Cheers
Try it and learn from the experience. If it doesn't turn out well you can always use the parts in another build/mod at a later date.

At that price it's gotta be a cheap body and neck. It seems to have locking tuners and durable looking hardware. Hell, for 50 notes can you really go wrong? At worst you've picked up some parts on the cheap.
The problem is WobblyGoblin that I didn't buy a new one but a guitar listed as a project guitar instead. It was only after I bought it that I spotted the new ones along with the cheapo price!
I paid £35 and it doesn't come with the tremolo.

I picked it up today in fact and it's in a pretty ropey condition, not that I'm bothered about that as I was going to sand it down anyway. The pickup rings need replacing, all of the knobs are missing as is one of the back plates.

The profile of the guitar leaves little or no room for a scratchplate which was one of the ways I wanted to customise it. I will have to rethink what I'm going to do there.

I'm going to sand off the finish on one of the edges to see what sort of wood/ply it's made of then make a final decision.
By the looks of that route, it seems a bit shallow for a LFR. Could just be my eyes deseving me
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375
Yes is may be a deceptive photo.

On the plus side I got a tremolo (floyd copy) of the type that originally came off of this guitar.

There is a guy on fleabay who is buying cheap guitars (swift) breaking them down and selling the parts at 100+% profit. A nice little side line methinks! For instance he is selling the neck for 44gbp + Postage...The whole guitar would be 50gbp retail!

Still I can't complain, I saved about 15gbp on the trem.

Cheers
Ah I see, well it could have been worse, you coulda bought the body of him, woulda cost you more!
Gear

Fender Lite Ash Tele

Satellite 65/T

Yamaha RBX375