You never stop learning, but I thought mentioning some of the thoughts that stand out from your very first days of playing may help some beginners see that everyone goes through it and it all gets better.

Some things I remember.....

First guitar cost me $35.00 it was and acoustic with neck separation and only played up to about the 7th fret.

Finger tips absoluted burned, peeled and burned again.

Once I was able to make chords, switching between them seemed ardous and I felt they would never get smooth.

Bar chords blew my mind 'cause I suddenly went from knowing 5 or 6 chords to 20 or more.

Anytime I switched to a different guitar I had to get used to the new string spacing and intonation... now.. pretty much any neck works.. I don't think about it much....

The first tab I really sat down and learned note for note was Stairway to Heaven.... To this day playing it is still a guilty pleasure. (Wayne's world kinda wrecked it with the"No Stariway to Heaven" sign.... sigh.
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
one of the main things for me was purchasing my first tube/valve amp and learning about tone. someone told me that i had to sweep the mids out and it felt weird to me, having them on anything above 4, but now i love having a nice middy tone, at around 7 or 8. Also, since going "tube" i just cannot play on a solid state amp, it doesnt feel right, im sure other semi-experienced guitarists will agree with me, unless they prefer the tone of an SS.
oh..playing standing up was a chore
2001 Gibson USA Les Paul Studio Black/Gold
2008 Alvarez-Yairi DY40C
2004 Taylor 310
Marshall AVT275

Ex guits 2002 Ovation Elite, 1995 Seagull 12 BC Rich Gunslinger Snakeskin Various Yamaha Various Sammick Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone ES
Gotta say, having experienced players around here is awesome. I've been playing for 8 weeks or so and feel like I've learned a bunch already, but the mountain of learning in front of me just seems infinitely high and having smarter and more experienced folks around is awesome.
Quote by Milez5858
oh..playing standing up was a chore

Thank god I'm not the only one. Funny enough, rhythm playing standing up is harder for me than lead.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Also, since going "tube" i just cannot play on a solid state amp, it doesnt feel right, im sure other semi-experienced guitarists will agree with me, unless they prefer the tone of an SS.

Umm. No, I can't say that's ever happened. I completely agree that tube amps sound better than SS, but to say I'll refuse to play on an SS, well, that would just make me a gear snob. An experienced musician should be able to get a usable tone out of most amps, SS or tube.

Important Guitar Moments;

- After a concert someone telling me that I sounded like crap, and ruined every song. This hurt extremely at the time, but in hindsight he was correct. I was so focussed on being "fully awesome" and shredding up every song that I'd forgotten about the music. And it did sound like crap. This lead me to think more about my guitar parts in relation to the song.

- Hearing Eruption for the first time. It blew my mind.

- A bandleader telling me after a concert that although I play well, I have to "be the lead guitarist". I had no idea what he was talking about until quite a while later, when I saw video footage of me playing. Stiff as a rake, staring at my hand. After then I've always made an effort to look at the audience and move around, keep fret staring to a minimum. And practicing infront of a mirror also started becoming standard.

- Writing a song with a band, and deciding that it didn't need a solo and to keep the lead parts to a minimum. Being the lead guitarist this would go against everything I aspired to do at the start(ie. melt peoples faces off), but I felt the song sounded better with less, not more. This indicated that I'd moved my emphasis from being a lead guitarist, to being a musician, who would rather create great sounding music that people enjoy than an attention seeking solo fiend who strives for someone to come up and say "OMG that was fully sikz!"
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'm a somewhat experienced player. Much more knowledgeable ABOUT acoustic guitars than about playing them.

I had a really funny moment(now that I think back) when I first change strings.

I was tuning my low E string up and *SNAP*. "DAMMIT!" I had strung up my E string too tight and I didn't think to check the tuner. At the time I was soooo pissed off. Now that I thin back on it, it's actually kind of funny.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.