OK so heres the deal, my church has given me permission to use distortion incertain songs we do but for some reason coming through the sound sytem it sounds beyond terrible. It is not the amp because I have used different amps and i get the same problem. Even if i turn the gain down way low even the slightest distortion sounds muddy. HELP please
are you micing? what amps are you using? what pedal? what kind of mic? im not an expert on these sort of things maybe its a common problem that can be solved without that info but more info is always going to result in better feedback.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
it NEEDS to go to a GUITAR AMPLIFIER not a SOUND SYSTEM..........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
You definitely need to take a look at the EQ on the PA system; you will want different EQ settings for distortion than you would for say acoustic tones or even clean electric tones.

Are you using a direct box, or are you using a mic on the amp?
The boards EQ needs to be set flat, also what type of mic are you using?
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

He SAYS he's USING an AMP........
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by riffs_n_licks
my church has given me permission to use distortion

i lol'ed

But, I'd be willing to bet that your church lacks tweeters in their sound system. Try turning up the treble band on their mixing board if they have one, and turning down bass and middle. Some boards have a single eq knob for middle-bass, which is where this mud is coming from, make sure that isn't too high.

If worse comes to worse... turn up your amp?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Ok well here ya go. I am currently using an amp a lady at my church donated its a solid state amp but im not sure of the make actually. I have used my line 6 spider 2 though as well and received the same sound. I run it through a direct box into the sound , no pedals except for a Wah every now and then.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

he says hes tryed multiple amps so im assuming he knows that much... maybe i overestimated his knowledge tho...
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
Last edited by Sieves at Feb 12, 2009,
Quote by riffs_n_licks
Ok well here ya go. I am currently using an amp a lady at my church donated its a solid state amp but im not sure of the make actually. I have used my line 6 spider 2 though as well and received the same sound. I run it through a direct box into the sound , no pedals except for a Wah every now and then.

It means your church has a ****ty PA system which is too oriented around bass and mids and lacks tweeters, or some 12 year olds messed with the EQ and turned up all the bass and middle knobs "BASS ROOLES!"

Pretty common, actually.

Do you know if they have a mixing board?

EDIT: It's definitely possible that there is NOTHING wrong with the church's PA system or your amp, but the muddiness may be happening because you don't have monitor speakers hooked up, and that it sounds perfectly clear in the audience.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Feb 12, 2009,
yes actually we have pretty big mixing board haha, I think i will check the settings on it next time because thats what i assumed it had to do with, i just wanted to see what everyone else had to say.
I also wondered, like you said, if it just sounds muddy through my wedge, and sounds completely fine to the audience. If this is the case though, what the hell is wrong with my wedge because it sounds terrible.
Sounds to me like the acoustics in there are pretty bad for guitar. I bet an acoustic guitar sounds good and plenty of Church echoes for the singers.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

No our church right now is an old business complex, no huge pillars or anything fancy haha, acoustics are about the same as my bed room