I have never been able to play on one of the Marshall MG series and I just wanted to know: why are they so hated? Obviously people don't like the sound, but what makes it so bad?? Just wanted to know.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Seriously, just use the searchbar on that one. It's not too hard to figure out after you read one or two threads about them.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Zakkcd
I have never been able to play on one of the Marshall MG series and I just wanted to know: why are they so hated? Obviously people don't like the sound, and that they constantly break down and sound even worse at high volumes but what makes it so bad?? Just wanted to know.

fixed; and you answered your own question
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Overpriced
Bad Distortion
Decent Cleans
Better amps in the price range
Can brake down in 4 weeks
Overpriced
*reported* we dont need anymore of these threads
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
making this thread should become a ban-able offense. someone makes this same exact thread at least 5 times a week.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Well, they kind of fall victim to the typical cheap solid state amp issues, sterile, uninteresting tone and general poor build quality. They're actually not that bad, considering their price, they're only a poor value if you're trying to buy a 100 watt MG halfstack or something, but the 30 watts and 50 watt combos are not so bad that there are SIGNIFICANTLY better options in it's price range.

I've never seen MG hate anywhere else on the internet as here. Truth is, a lot of kids just like to bash the MG because it's a cheap solid state amp that is made by a big manufacturer with a good name.
The fact that no one uses the google or search function makes them so bad.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I think people want a technical answer:

You see, The subsidary of marshall LLC who makes the amp uses a high output capacity transformer in the DC negative servo. When the current is transformed into AC they see a spike in the 50/60hz range during zakk wylde solos. Therefore to cancel the 60hz hum as noted by the Phase 2 24v DC relay, they place a small capacitor in the output PLC CPU circuit. But as any electrician knows this would greatly reduce the effectiveness of the level sensors input/output range... Thats why it sucks
Quote by Fender_bender90
I think people want a technical answer:

You see, The subsidary of marshall LLC who makes the amp uses a high output capacity transformer in the DC negative servo. When the current is transformed into AC they see a spike in the 50/60hz range during zakk wylde solos. Therefore to cancel the 60hz hum as noted by the Phase 2 24v DC relay, they place a small capacitor in the output PLC CPU circuit. But as any electrician knows this would greatly reduce the effectiveness of the level sensors input/output range... Thats why it sucks

tl;dr
Zakk Wylde ruined the MG!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
They suck, I have one, the distortion is HORRIBLE, clean channel is alright and I'm sure mine is breaking down or something because it's sounding worse lately lol
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
Quote by Zakkcd
Just wanted to know.

then use your initiative and read reviews fool
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
not a bad bedroom amp IMO, i have one. but there are better amps out there for similar prices. i can see why people hate line 6 spiders but mg15's aren't the worst things for practicing.
They don't have a SEARCH BAR
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
Seriously...use the searchbar. I'm not bashing you...and I own an MG. Its my backup now. Worst thing they have going for them is the price...WAY overpriced. I picked mine up used so it wasn't as bad. Distortion is horrible unless you use a stomp box, cleans are decent if you use an EQ pedal. Alone...these amps are horrible. A few stompboxes in front of them and they're tolerable. Better amps in the price range for sure.
My friend has an MG, can't remember the model exactly but it's the really small one. Clean sounds awful compared to even the spider III, and the distortion is about as bad as the Insane Channel on the Spider III, except less digital.

It's an okay practice amp...I know another guy that bought a MG stack for it's cleans; terrible, terrible idea...I had to get him an EQ pedal for his birthday.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.

WHY DO THESE KEEP APPEARING???? WILL THEY EVER STOP????
These appear every day. The reason people dont like MG's is because:

1. Distortion is horrid
2. Cleans are sterile
3. Reliability is sh1t
4. They sound even worse at high volumes
5. Overpriced
6. MANY better amps in its price range
7. People buy them because they say "Marshall"
8. People buy them because Zakk Wylde tells them too
9. The stacks and 100 watt ones are just oversized practice amps
10. They just suck

Sorry to be so harsh man, but you have to understand that the searchbar is there for a reason, and people are tired of answering the same question. Good luck n00b, and hopefully youll learn how to use these forums without getting mega-flamed.
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Feb 12, 2009,
The sound and price.

I have owned the half stack. It is okay soundwise, but there are things that are a lot better. For $600 it is not worth it, it is probably worth $400. There are better amps around $600 like a used JCM combo, used 5150 combo, upcoming 6505 combo, B-52 AT112, etc.

Yeah, the MG just isn't worth it.

That is why I am trading mine in for a $600 JCM combo I found at a local store.

MG15's are good bedroom/practice amps, but everything else is too bad for the price.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Feb 12, 2009,