Is it feasible to make a pickup winder using...

... a pencil sharpener as the motor?

If not, don't go anywhere, because I have many many questions.
hmm... thst actually seems feasible. actually, any motor would work.

the only concern i would have is that you might not be able to control the speed...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
It just came to me, Use your pecil sharner motor and put a String winder on the end... Or Use your metal crafting skills to make a Winder arm. Then solder/poxy the two together and it should work.
The arm shoould look like this: M=Motor |=Vertical Metal Piece _=Horizontal Metal Piece
|
|__
|
|M|

I've never winded a pickup befor, but I've winded other stuff.

Edit: Damnit Diagram Wont work. I'l make a drawing of one.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Feb 12, 2009,
I'm electronically retarded. Which is scary considering I'd like to become an electrical engineer. I guess it's also well I'm attempting to learn a thing or two.

Could I not introduce some kind of variable attenuator to the motor's power supply to control speed? Rig it up to a switch or knob?
unfortunately, i'm gonna change my opinion. a pencil sharpener motor is just too fast. it wil rip the thin, delicate wire to shreds...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by timbit2006
It just came to me, Use your pecil sharner motor and put a String winder on the end... Or Use your metal crafting skills to make a Winder arm. Then solder/poxy the two together and it should work.
The arm shoould look like this: M=Motor |=Vertical Metal Piece _=Horizontal Metal Piece
|
|__
|
|M|

I've never winded a pickup befor, but I've winded other stuff.

Edit: Damnit Diagram Wont work. I'l make a drawing of one.

I understand how I'd go about setting it up physically. It's just the (minor?) details... switches... controls... the workings of the motor itself... setting up a counter... the electrical aspects of it.
Not sure if this would work, But you could add a volume control to the circuit to control flow of electrons going through the circuit to the motor. I'll try this in a few seconds to see if a volume control would work.

Edit: I would go to your local electronics store and pick the stuff up, Ie. Wytek, Princess auto, Radioshack(maybe).
Last edited by timbit2006 at Feb 12, 2009,
^a pot might work, as would the attenuator

and dz, dont worry, im electrically retarded too. and my dad's an electrical engineer.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
unfortunately, i'm gonna change my opinion. a pencil sharpener motor is just too fast. it wil rip the thin, delicate wire to shreds...

And what if I hit the pencil sharpener with a really big rubber mallet repeatedly beforehand?

See my inquiry on a "variable attenuator." If there is such a thing.
see my last post
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^a pot might work, as would the attenuator

and dz, dont worry, im electrically retarded too. and my dad's an electrical engineer.

I don't have any spare pots lying around. But if that is an efficient design, could someone confirm it? And if so, how much are they?

Does orange hair mean they're really really good?
if you dont have any, just do your attenuator.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
I don't have any of those either. I do have a kiddy-electronics kit up in the attic with half the components missing :P.

More than anything, I'm trying to elicit fascinating intellectual discussion. Mmmm, tasty fascinating-intellectual-discussion.

EDIT: What Ohm-rated pot would I need?
I've looked at some on RadioShack.com and they're pretty inexpensive (absolutely, not relatively, I really wouldn't know.)
Last edited by dz_alias at Feb 12, 2009,
Without knowing the wattage etc of the pencil motor, it's hard to say. I say get 4 different values and see how it goes from there. Try each one. Perhaps 10 ohms, 100, 1k and a 100k
I was just thinking of a bench/wall mounted manual sharpener when I read the title and that might actually work. I don't know how many turns the blades make per turn of the crank but I'm sure it's more than 1. Anyway, there's got to be a way to mount a bobbin on one of those so you can wind it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
May I suggest /not/ using a pencil sharpener?
I'll admit, I'm no winding expert, but I'm going to tell you what I have learned from the little bit of research that I've done.
I doubt the motor would hold the load of a metal arm, to start, which seems like a bad idea anyway.
Next, start with something nice and small. And something you don't have to take apart. Like a drill. (especially if the drill already has a speed control)
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
May I suggest /not/ using a pencil sharpener?
I'll admit, I'm no winding expert, but I'm going to tell you what I have learned from the little bit of research that I've done.
I doubt the motor would hold the load of a metal arm, to start, which seems like a bad idea anyway.
Next, start with something nice and small. And something you don't have to take apart. Like a drill. (especially if the drill already has a speed control)

No, you may not.

Actually you can.

No. Yes.

I'm still going the pencil sharpener route, as opposed to a drill. The drill's too easy. It's less of a pain in the ass. I'd rather do it the hard way (but not too hard), and if it doesn't work, then it's all the better. I'll learn. If it doesn't work, I'll proceed to using a desecrated drill. Even if it's perfect for my purposes I'll tear it apart anyway and add something I probably shouldn't. Thanks for the idea though. My simplistic mind stopped at "pencil sharpener."
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
I was just thinking of a bench/wall mounted manual sharpener when I read the title and that might actually work. I don't know how many turns the blades make per turn of the crank but I'm sure it's more than 1. Anyway, there's got to be a way to mount a bobbin on one of those so you can wind it.

A... manual sharpener? Like... without electricity? Hmmmm. That seems so... involved and physical. My delicate guitar-playing hands might cramp up horribly.

That's actually a good idea. While I'll still be on the lookout to do an automatic (well... more so) winder, I can try this as well.

Has anyone ever used a fishing pole (the handle thingy rather) to guider their line? Would this work, to feed the wire variably across the pickup?
I think some people use an old cassette deck, too
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I think some people use an old cassette deck, too

I have one of those in my car (Nissan 1989 240SX SE). I can turn my car into a pickup winder! Actually, I could just use the motor in it! Screw the cassette player!

200-odd horsepower pickup winder?

/knows nothing about cars and was too lazy to look yours up.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I don't know the horsepower. I think it has a 2.4L engine. 2.4L what, I don't know.

I really don't know anything about cars.

Hmmm. *Notices the gradual shift from pickup winding to car motors.*

EDIT: For those of you entering this thread from the second page, please read the first.
Last edited by dz_alias at Feb 14, 2009,
Ok. Let's pretend that before I try using a big electric pencil sharpener, I try using a little tiny one that runs on two AA batteries. Would it be correct to assume that because each battery outputs 1.5 volts, that I could buy a 3V power adapter for use with the motor...?

I found a 3V adapter on Radio Shack's website, however it's for DC current from an AC source. Would it work?

Would this work well as a pot?
Last edited by dz_alias at Feb 17, 2009,
As long as it's 3V DC like that one it will work (well as far as my small knowladge of electronics knows). If you run a DC motor with AC it will just vibrate (go on way for a tiny amount of time and then switch repetedely) and get hot. So you need one like that to turn mains AC into the DC that a battery would provide.

And that pot should work.
Quote by Shinozoku

200-odd horsepower pickup winder?

/knows nothing about cars and was too lazy to look yours up.

Probably more like 90.
Quote by supergerbil
As long as it's 3V DC like that one it will work (well as far as my small knowladge of electronics knows). If you run a DC motor with AC it will just vibrate (go on way for a tiny amount of time and then switch repetedely) and get hot. So you need one like that to turn mains AC into the DC that a battery would provide.

And that pot should work.

I wasn't sure if it was a DC or AC motor. I didn't know batteries were DC but I do now :P. Maybe I won't get an adapter though. Seems like a waste of money... Either way, I got the motor and battery clip out from the sharpener casing. I actually had to tear it apart primitively after unscrewing most of the screws because I couldn't reach two on the inside. Now I have a cut thumb. The pain! Oh the pain!
you dont know that batteries are DC and your going to be an electrical engineer? Son you've got bigger problems than winding a pickup! haha
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
Quote by Kolanski
you dont know that batteries are DC and your going to be an electrical engineer? Son you've got bigger problems than winding a pickup! haha

Lmfao. I'm mainly a programmer. I've always had the logic. But until now I've never dealt with electronics. So I'm missing the trivial information. I do have some more questions. Can I just use any old AC to DC converter? I have some lying around rated at 1.2V, 5V, etc. I could just attenuate the power if it's too much (hard limit), which it will be, and handle the rest with a pot (variably). Also, does it matter which way I wire the motor? I'm under the impression I can wire it any way, just that switching them will switch the direction the motor turns. Is it okay to run wires to each contact end of the adaptor (inside and outside) or does it not matter?
Last edited by dz_alias at Feb 18, 2009,
*Bump.*

I desecrated one of these for... well lots of stuff.
Last edited by dz_alias at Feb 18, 2009,
*Bump*
I've gotten most of the components I need (I believe).

I bought a cheap soldering gun from Radio Shack. Once I start building (willy nilly since I'm not sure what I'm doing) I'll take pictures and post them.