ok im in a band and we are recording and we are going to go for a band room sound for the quality.
but we are woundering when we play live we use a back track for some insturments.
do we keep the insturments sounding band room style for live or digital?
Ahh yes, the old "Band room style vs Digital" debate. When will it ever end?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Do you mean just record yourself then pretend to play live....

I dont think that counts
you use a backing track live....?

Do you hear that??

Its my respect for you..falling..ever so quickly
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Well maybe they recordo some instruments that they cant play live, or one member records more than one instrument (like, the lead guitarists also records the harp, flute, violin and kazoo parts), so they have to use a backing track.
At least i hope thats the case, otherwise you just suck.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Is your group's name, by chance, Milli Vanilli?

I kid, I kid. If you're going to be playing a backing track for extra instruments while gigging, go for the band room setting. It'll sound more organic.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
I'm not sure I understand your question, but ultimately, you want things to sound as good as you can get them to sound - your guitars, your vocals, your drums.... and your backing tracks. Ultimately, the flavour of 'good' you're looking for is up to you. Nobody can answer that for you.

To those who are dissing the backing tracks....

Any industrial band (NIN, Manson, Stabbing Westward, etc.) will have backing tracks. Where do you think all those sound effects come from? How about all those other textural layers? The *one* keyboard player? Nope. Not usually.

And then there are the mega production bands - the Def Leppards, Aerosmiths, etc. How do you think they get such a highly slick and polished live sound? Lots of practice? Absolutely. ONLY lots of practice? Nope. Textural effects, backing vocals, etc. are often all done on a backing track. Sure, there are live backing vox too, but often recorded ones to supplement what they do live.

The difference between a pro and an amateur is that the pro does it for enhancement, the amateur does it for survival.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i was going to use back track for-
strings, horns, piano and bells. yes i said bells lol.

so band room it is i guess.
im using my computer for the back tracks to plug into the mixing board so they can control the volume and stuff.

what you guys think?
I still don't understand the question really.
Soundcloud
question is:

if i use back track for live should it sound digital or band/ practice room style. back track will be strings,horns,piano. and its going to be pluged in dirrect to the mixing boarding.

so what sound. digital or band room style?
What do you mean, "digital or band room style?"

For live use, here is the easy way... do your backing tracks on the computer. Put the backing tracks on one side... say, the left. On the right, put a click track. Save it as an mp3 and sync it to an iPod or something similar. At the venue, get your iPod and put a Y connector into the headphone jack. Send the left side with the click to the drummers headphones (make sure the iPod has enough of a count-in so the drummer can get counted in... and can then count you in or cue you in some other way!) Send the right side to the monitors and mains.

Voila! No lugging of computer equipment, samplers, no CDs skipping, etc. Very easy, portable, and streamlined!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Are you asking whether the backing track should be made from recording people playing their instruments live, or whether you should use synthesized effects for the backing track instead?

So backing track options;
1. Use real instruments
2. Use digital emulations of instruments

If that is the question, use real instruments. Synethised horns and bells would sound horrible.
Soundcloud
insturments are being recorded right now. its going to be band room style on the demo. but for live i wanna know should it sound like digital like how bands do their sounds now a days. you know when guitar players plug dirrect in and it loses that micing feel.

so thats what im talking about. should it sound per digital or have a practice room sound.
Ohhh, you mean playing through amps as opposed to going straight to mixer? Amp all the way.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300