So, my band have suddenly moved up in the world by quite a bit and are being filmed for a movie. Our set includes some cover songs. However, we are unsure about the legalities of this, the director's said it will most definately be a no, but anyone know of any loopholes or anyway around the law?
Edit the movie so as not to include cover songs.

Including cover songs in a movie is a lot of red tape.

First you need permission yourself to record the song via a mechanical license.

Then you need a synchronization license, which will allow you to include it in a multimedia presentation, like a movie.

It will probably add to the expense of the movie by an amount that will make it look quite appealing to just edit out the covers.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
What kind of movie is it? What's the budget like? If it's large enough, I don't see why the producers wouldn't be paying for the rights to these songs, if it will make the movie better. However, that is their concern, not yours, so don't go shelling out money.
If the producers want you to play certain songs - that's on them. Otherwise, just play originals. It can only help you in the long-run anyway (unless the songs suck, that is.)
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Well it's a low budget movie, and the end scene is one massive music party with a few bands. We just wanted a longer set but i think we'll stick to originals as it's a low budget.
Stick to originals if its a small movie. If the producers wanted a particular song played, it would be their duty to sort out the copyright bits n pieces and gain permissions etc.

So yeah.

But its awesome you're to be in this movie man, good luck!

db
Quote by koslack
What kind of movie is it? What's the budget like? If it's large enough, I don't see why the producers wouldn't be paying for the rights to these songs, if it will make the movie better. However, that is their concern, not yours, so don't go shelling out money.

True enough.... I just assumed that if the producers had a big enough budget, they'd get an established recording act or a national touring band or something....

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
listen to the diresctors, its your jobs to make the noice, they package and sell it. you do your job and they'll do thiers.
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary