Hi, I've been planning on buying an electric guitar soon and I have some questions related to buying one and guitars in general.

I've tried out a few guitars and I've been looking around the internet on what's out there, but still need some help in deciding what's the best option out there. One of the things I'm looking for is a guitar that has a trem bar that I can use but with the guitar still staying in tune, since I've heard from everywhere that basically all guitars, except for Floyd Rose and similar systems, really go out of tune if you use its whammy bar. I can't afford a Floyd Rose something similar which cost around $500 and up from what I've seen. The most I can spend is $250. I've seen that they sell locking nut parts that help keep a guitar in tune, and so I was thinking about buying a good but inexpensive guitar that's not the worst when it comes to going out of tune and then also buy the part that might help with keeping the guitar stay in tune.

With everyone's experiences and expertise, what's the best guitar I can get (that has a whammy bar) and locking nut part that I can get, that's within my budget? You can list whatever possibilities and combinations but definitely ones you yourself would buy if you had to. I may be able to go a few dollars above my budget (like 260 or something) if necessary but really that's as much as I can go as my funds are very limited.

Also, according to what I've read on this site, out of the non-locking guitars w/ whammy bars, there's ones that bend only downward and ones that can go both ways, and that the ones that only go downward stay in tune better compared to the other kind. If that's the case (if everyone can confirm that), then I'd prefer the ones that go downward only (so that at least I can practice downward bending techniques fine).

Also, some general questions...
- How can you tell if the guitar can bend both ways or just downward? (could you show me some examples or tell me which models have which)
- Will any locking nut do, or are some better quality than others?
- Is there such a thing as a locking bridge part that they sell, and if yes, can it be installed on any guitar?
- Will installing all these extra parts on a regular non-Floyd Rose (or similar) guitar to help keep the guitar in tune actually help keep it in tune, or am I still going to experience major out-of-tunage just simply because these guitars can't handle whammy use? (why do the manufacturers even have them on the guitars if that's the case?)

Thanks to everyone who can help me out and can help me in making a decision as to what to buy
Last edited by ultimguitarr at Feb 12, 2009,
Check out the ESP LTD MH-50. It's $300, just a little out of your budget but be patient and save up for the extra $40-$50. I own this guitar but have modded it to hell.

It has a double locking licened Floyd Rose floating trem. It's the better original Floyd Rose Rem but for your budget it's gonna be a pretty good choice.

Floating trems will allow you to dive and pull up on the bridge, other trems may not. Fender strats and other similar guitars will dive only and go out of tune more frequently, since they rarely incorporate a locking nut.

Most locking nuts are pretty standard and work fine as long as they are secured to the neck well and the pads give enough pressure to actuall lock the strings down.

Most floating trems use blocks to lock the strings down at the bridge. This reduces the chance of the strings going out of tune.

Yes, you can buy a different types of Tremolo stabalizers to help a floating trem stay in and suggest investing in one of these if you're planning on doing some serious whammy barring: Tremsetter or a Tremstop.

Most improtanly: Learn how to set up a guitar yourself. It will make you a better musician if you understand what it is your playing and how it works.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
the dean vandetta can come with a trem on it for like 150. i know a beginner, even more so than me, who got the fixed bridge one, and it's pretty good for 100. plus if you spend the 150 then you could swtich to at least one non-stock pickup. i spent 50 is for a floyd rose liscened on ebay. the site that had the dean for 150 is americanmusical.com.
Cheap + trem = headache.

Don't cheap out when you're getting a guitar with a floating trem. The lack of tuning stability and all around hassle caused by the cheap materials will drive you mad.
Quote by ultimguitarr
Hi, I've been planning on buying an electric guitar soon and I have some questions related to buying one and guitars in general.

I've tried out a few guitars and I've been looking around the internet on what's out there, but still need some help in deciding what's the best option out there. One of the things I'm looking for is a guitar that has a trem bar that I can use but with the guitar still staying in tune, since I've heard from everywhere that basically all guitars, except for Floyd Rose and similar systems, really go out of tune if you use its whammy bar. I can't afford a Floyd Rose something similar which cost around $500 and up from what I've seen. The most I can spend is $250. I've seen that they sell locking nut parts that help keep a guitar in tune, and so I was thinking about buying a good but inexpensive guitar that's not the worst when it comes to going out of tune and then also buy the part that might help with keeping the guitar stay in tune.

With everyone's experiences and expertise, what's the best guitar I can get (that has a whammy bar) and locking nut part that I can get, that's within my budget? You can list whatever possibilities and combinations but definitely ones you yourself would buy if you had to. I may be able to go a few dollars above my budget (like 260 or something) if necessary but really that's as much as I can go as my funds are very limited.

Also, according to what I've read on this site, out of the non-locking guitars w/ whammy bars, there's ones that bend only downward and ones that can go both ways, and that the ones that only go downward stay in tune better compared to the other kind. If that's the case (if everyone can confirm that), then I'd prefer the ones that go downward only (so that at least I can practice downward bending techniques fine).

Also, some general questions...
- How can you tell if the guitar can bend both ways or just downward? (could you show me some examples or tell me which models have which)
- Will any locking nut do, or are some better quality than others?
- Is there such a thing as a locking bridge part that they sell, and if yes, can it be installed on any guitar?
- Will installing all these extra parts on a regular non-Floyd Rose (or similar) guitar to help keep the guitar in tune actually help keep it in tune, or am I still going to experience major out-of-tunage just simply because these guitars can't handle whammy use? (why do the manufacturers even have them on the guitars if that's the case?)

Thanks to everyone who can help me out and can help me in making a decision as to what to buy

Rubbing graphite in the nut makes a world of difference. Try that on a strat before you inconvenience yourself with a locking trem. Unless you wank on it like Vai. In which case yes, get a Floyd. I've seen them as cheap as $75.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
^ also +1... if you really want a floyd, you want to make sure you get a good one.

Quote by T!AN
Cheap + trem = headache.

Don't cheap out when you're getting a guitar with a floating trem. The lack of tuning stability and all around hassle caused by the cheap materials will drive you mad.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would have to agree with everyone here. Cheap Tremolos will be a huge pain.